cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to improve credit to accomplish two goals. Please advise.

tag
Shane83zx

Trying to improve credit to accomplish two goals. Please advise.

Alright, so current situation sits as follows. I have one account with My local Credit Union, with them I have a mortgage ($77,000) a small auto loan ($4200) that I used for repairs, and a Best buy credit card ($300 Limit). As of right now EQ shows me at 626, and TU at 720 on each of their respective online sites. My EQ dropped a few points when I applied for the Discover card and got denied. I make about 44K a year. I have no collections, settlements, or other outstanding. My negatives on my report are three 30 day marks on a Auto loan closed in 2011 (Americredit). the Baddie is the student loan I fudged on and totally forgot about a year back or so and let go 90 days before I got a letter and paid it.  

I have been good on my payments, and the only inquiry on my reports are the CU loan and my failed attempt at the Discover card. My goals. My car is no longer classifiable as reliable. I want to get a new car ~30K, and refinance the house, with the idea of taking about 15-20K on the house to put down on the car. My mortgage is what they call an ARM first five years at 4.5% after 5 years it goes variable. I'm about 2 years in. 

The credit union says they start their Mortgages with cash pay outs at a 620 beacon score with 4.5 being the best possible rate, and the auto loan is obviously dependant on who I finance withthe Union saying theirs is 6.99% currently. 

My biggest question I guess is ideas to up my score, as there is nothing left to dispute, I want my EQ at at least 650 and TU i haven't got a clue since their range is out of synch with EQ. An idea of time required with 100% positive payments to move my score if it's even an answerable question as well.  Also any advice. I'm 31 but all this adult responsibility, and finances is still new to me. This is me getting my crap together and making goals before I grow old and broke!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: Trying to improve credit to accomplish two goals. Please advise.

A couple of things I'd suggest would be to try to address the derogatories via goodwill letters, and also to get your FICO scores instead of FAKO ones.  FAKO scores do not provide you with the information you need to make intelligent decisions about your credit.

You might also wish to get printed copies of your reports and look them over for accuracy.

Another thing you can do is control the reported balance on your Best Buy card, so that you do NOT appear to be maxed out.

You may wish to add a good secured CC as a way of moving forward.  The SDFCU Visa is an excellent choice.

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A 90-late is a major derog in payment history, and would be my primary focus in attempting its GW deletion.

Message 3 of 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

The derogs are the major items holding you back.  There's a repair subforum that you should refer to.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.