Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to restructure my debt

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to restructure my debt

Hoping to get some advice on my strategy here.  Let me give some background to my credit world.

I have 11 accounts, 9 of which are CC accounts, 1 is a student loan and 1 is a delinquent utility bill for $13.  I have 1 30day late payment in the last 6 months and none prior to that.  My oldest account is 11 years and my average is 5 years.  My ratio of revolving balance is 73% (yes way to high)

Now onto my plan.  I plan to pay off $15,000 this month (came into some cash).  This pays off approximately 68% of my total CC debt.  I am than going to transfer all the remaining CC balances to a single card that has a very low balance transfer offer.  This will just about max out that cards limit but leave all the others at zero blances. 

I would like to close 2 CC's that are charging monthly and yearly fees the combined credit limit on these two cards equals about 6% of my total credit limit of all CC's combined.  Should I close these two cards?

Stupid PG&E is the utility that says I owe them $13 from years ago.  I have disputed it and they have affirmed it.  I know I have paid them this amount (it was a big mess when they changed over computer systems).  Should I just go ahead and pay them the $13 or wait for it to go away?  It shows the date closed as 12/2002.

Thanks for your time.

Message Edited by tkdehlinger on 09-17-2007 11:27 AM
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Trying to restructure my debt

tkdehlinger wrote:
Now onto my plan.  I plan to pay off $15,000 this month (came into some cash).  This pays off approximately 68% of my total CC debt.  I am than going to transfer all the remaining CC balances to a single card that has a very low balance transfer offer.  This will just about max out that cards limit but leave all the others at zero blances. 

I would like to close 2 CC's that are charging monthly and yearly fees the combined credit limit on these two cards equals about 6% of my total credit limit of all CC's combined.  Should I close these two cards?

Thanks for your time.

Paying down your revolving debt is the BEST thing you can do... You may see a "Stinging" message that sites you have one or more cards close to its max, but if it make financial sense - lower interest rates for instance - good move. Your FICOs will go up as a result of the new UTI ratio, so don't sweat - do what is right (as per your description.)

As for the Utility bill - attempt a PFD. $13 is not likely to earn an amicable response, but it can't hurt to ask! Smiley Wink

If the PFD is unsuccessful, I would pay it off and be done with the stress. Others may flame me for offering this advice, but it is ALWAYS easier to explain a PIFd debt than one that hangs out there for all to see.

Good luck.

Rob
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.