Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turned down for 2 jobs because of bankruptcy and 1 collection account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Turned down for 2 jobs because of bankruptcy and 1 collection account

I am lost. I was turned down for 2 NON-FINANCIAL positions because HR ran a credit check and found out I filed for bankruptcy and have 1 collection accout. I am VERY tired of contract work and would like to have a permanent fulltime position with benefits. I have a 2 1/2 year old to support. Has anyone experienced that before.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
John060675
Valued Contributor

Re: Turned down for 2 jobs because of bankruptcy and 1 collection account

I have never had my employers check my credit.  Unless it is a bank or financial institution, then I think they should not.  I am sorry it happened to you, but do not give up!  May I ask what industry this is happening in?

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did they actually tell you it was because of the BK? I believe this is covered under equal opportunity; e.g., employment cannot be denied strictly because of a BK. It is surely possible that banks or other financial institutions are covered under some kind of loophole, but my understanding is this is just another form of discrimination. I filed in 2004, and have gotten several good paying jobs since then (all professional level - but I have 20 years in the same industry and an advanced degree), but I do not think any of them checked my credit.

Have you tried applying to smaller, privately owned companies? They will be less inclined to check credit. Suggest avoiding large corporations, or any position where you'd be handling cash, etc.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

addendum and OT for this forum: you mention HR... One way to judge best size companies is to apply to those small enough NOT to have an HR dept... Keep in mind that HR's job is to disqualify applicants before the real hiring managers see you.

If you must apply to larger companies, try finding out who the hiring manager is for the department you want to work in, call them and ask if they might have 5 minutes to talk to you about opportunities in their department, or whether they might know others who might have a position for someone with your skills. It's not easy to do - takes some gumption - but it works. 

Almost anyone (who you'd really want to work for) will give you 5 minutes. Networking is key. The trick is to get to them first, and if they like you, their good word will often get you past the HR screening process. Hope that helps.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

What type of company was it.  I know that working for anything that handles social security informaton or is in the finacial industry, even if you are not handling finances directly, will be declined due to BK.  The discrimintion comes about as you cannot be fired from a job due to BK.

Did they site the credit report as the reason?  It could be that it was just the reason they wanted to give you.  Even with a BK, mst employers will ask 'why' for a candidate that they are truly interested in before making a final decision.  If you have good reason such as medical bills or major loss of income, most will overlook it. 

How long ago was the bankruptcy?  What aabout the collection?
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

The HR person contacted me and "offered" me the position. I "accepted" and then she proceeded to explain benefits and what the next steps would be. When she explained to me that a "credit check" would have to be implemented, I explained to her that I filed C13 BK and why. After receiving my credit file, the HR representative explained to me that due to my bankruptcy and unpaid collection (final SMALL electric bill I forgot when I moved from GA), which I did not know was there, that she would have to "rescind" the job offer. The position was for a Project Manager and the job did not deal with any funds at all. The company overall accepts membership fees from users, however, the position that I accepted had NOTHING to do with that, however the HR representative added that I might see credit card information. I realize it was a losing battle and at that time they just did not want me anymore. I felt and still feel awful that because I filed BK, eventhough it is a 13 repayment plan, companies that run credit check would view me as a "thief" or one whom has comitted a "crime (felony)". Just venting. :-(
Message 6 of 13
Takunda1
Established Contributor

I went through the same thing with Countrywide twice. I didn't have BK but had a lot of outstanding debt and 2 collections. Both times I passed the interviews but when it came to the Credit check I was declined. Now my credit is all good and here they go laying people off. I guess it wasn't meant to be.Smiley Sad
Message 7 of 13
dangphuocloc72
Frequent Contributor

I am same thing been apply many job , after they check CR . they never call me . ( because on 1997 my Car been tow . next year it should be remove from EQ . ) thanks god I am doing good now . good luck keepoff ( don't think too much )
everything should be fine , god will help you . I have 3 little baby now .
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

keepoff wrote:
The HR person contacted me and "offered" me the position. I "accepted" and then she proceeded to explain benefits and what the next steps would be. When she explained to me that a "credit check" would have to be implemented, I explained to her that I filed C13 BK and why. After receiving my credit file, the HR representative explained to me that due to my bankruptcy and unpaid collection (final SMALL electric bill I forgot when I moved from GA), which I did not know was there, that she would have to "rescind" the job offer. The position was for a Project Manager and the job did not deal with any funds at all. The company overall accepts membership fees from users, however, the position that I accepted had NOTHING to do with that, however the HR representative added that I might see credit card information. I realize it was a losing battle and at that time they just did not want me anymore. I felt and still feel awful that because I filed BK, eventhough it is a 13 repayment plan, companies that run credit check would view me as a "thief" or one whom has comitted a "crime (felony)". Just venting. :-(

Are you atill actively in the repayment plan? I think some employers go too far with this.  I am a SE contractor, I contract for credit card companies and one Fed position, both of which run credit checks and background checks and have never been denied due to this.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

A while back, my wife applied for a corporate bank job that deals directly with accounts. She had a less then one year old BK on record and got the job no problem. Two years later she got another job at another bank as a manager dealing with wire transfers. Now she is an assistant VP there. I'm not sure why the BK was not an issue. They where not small banks.

Message Edited by section8 on 09-22-2007 07:28 AM
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.