Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Phishing Scam

tag
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

USAA Phishing Scam

Hey all, just wanted to give the heads up in case anybody receives an email supposedly from USAA saying a different computer has logged into your account multiple times and you must do a "full profile update" by verifying your information and following a link. I don't have a USAA account so that was my red flag. I briefly pressed the "contact us" link at the bottom on my iPhone to see where it routed too and it looks like some Polish website based on the .pl instead of a .com

Be careful out there Smiley Happy

image1.PNGimage2.PNG

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

Re: USAA Phishing Scam

Thanks for posting.  I'm guessing you also reported to USAA.

Besides the bad capitalization and grammar, I have found the word "kindly" is often a red flag for phishing in the US.  From my experience, English outside the US uses "kindly" instead of "please".

P.S. Your name shows in the first photo (which does indicate this was actually "spear phishing" in that they knew your name and possibly that you were a USAA member).

Message 2 of 5
gibeon
Established Contributor

If you still have the email and/or screenshots please forward them to abuse@usaa.com

Thanks,
Gib
23 Open Bank Cards / 7 Open Store Cards / TOO many inquires / Mid/High 600's
Message 3 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Nothing new about these nor are they unique to USAA.  Generally, if you hover over a link you can see the URL and with many of these the URL's clearly do not belong to the creditor.  Unless you blanked out the Securitty Zone section that's also an indicator that the email is not genuine or from USAA.  As mentioned above grammer and mispellings can also be red flags.  If in doubt, con't click on the link in an email and access the creditor's site directly or call.

Message 4 of 5
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@MASTERNC wrote:

Thanks for posting.  I'm guessing you also reported to USAA.

Besides the bad capitalization and grammar, I have found the word "kindly" is often a red flag for phishing in the US.  From my experience, English outside the US uses "kindly" instead of "please".

P.S. Your name shows in the first photo (which does indicate this was actually "spear phishing" in that they knew your name and possibly that you were a USAA member).

Hey MASTERNC I think the name is actually generated from my iPhone since it recognizes this is my e-mail address. I don't think the sender actually knew my name, may have just sent out an e-mail blast.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.