Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USER CARDS ONLY

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USER CARDS ONLY

The above information seems conflicting...

I will explainSmiley Wink

Authorized Users are not contractually responsible to an account.

Joint account users are contractually responsible to the account

Credit card companies will extend credit to you based on some type of merit....if you don't qualify then you don't qualify....

There is no such thing as a direct conversion but you can apply for a different account which is a different contract of terms and agreements. Remember we are talking money....and big banks and business when its time for them to take you to court or collect their money they will have to prove under what conditions  you got a credit account from them...

if you are an AU.....you are in the clear....

if you are a joint account holder then you are not.

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good, concise, and simplified breakdown Smiley Wink
Message 12 of 13
Dawn
Established Contributor

sherry wrote:

Authorized Users are not contractually responsible to an account.

Joint account users are contractually responsible to the account

<edit text out>

if you are an AU.....you are in the clear....

if you are a joint account holder then you are not.

I think we all need to keep in mind that guidelines (regarding this issue ...and others that are discussed here) may vary from state to state. 

Generally, it would be expected that AUs are "in the clear" as far as legal responsibility for an account.  This may be true in all circumstances of non-spousal AUs. 

However, in Texas (community property state) ... my understanding is that AU status does not protect spouses from the obligations of our partners.  Scary ... isn't it?
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.