Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USING A CREDIT CARD TO OPEN ONLINE CHECKING

tag
tray
Valued Contributor

USING A CREDIT CARD TO OPEN ONLINE CHECKING

Hi everyone, I am interested in opening up an on-line checking account with CHASE bank, for the opening deposit it states you can use a credit card, is there any one that has done this, or does anyone think a credit card company will look down on this especially if you are not opening up an account with thier bank.  Thanks for any information.

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
mrldp40
Established Contributor

Re: USING A CREDIT CARD TO OPEN ONLINE CHECKING

just do the minium deposit  .u should be fine    ive done it a couple of times

ready to start a rebuild ex 533 eq 518 tu 541
inquiries EQ 2 EX 0 TU 1 multiple charge off current card green dot secured 500
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mrldp40 wrote:

just do the minium deposit  .u should be fine    ive done it a couple of times

+1

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why would you ever want to open up an account with Chase? DON'T DO IT! I finally rid myself of that hell.... 

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Why would you ever want to open up an account with Chase? DON'T DO IT! I finally rid myself of that hell.... 

Chase currently has a $125 cashback offer for new checking accounts with direct deposit.

Actually, Chase is good to some people.  Difficult to find a one-size-fits-all with any institution.

Message 5 of 9
Tazman81
Established Contributor

@tray wrote:

Hi everyone, I am interested in opening up an on-line checking account with CHASE bank, for the opening deposit it states you can use a credit card, is there any one that has done this, or does anyone think a credit card company will look down on this especially if you are not opening up an account with thier bank.  Thanks for any information.

Tray, be careful using an actual credit card when opening an account online.  If it is a debit card from your current bank, then that is fine, but if it is an actual credit card, then you will likely be hit with a cash advance fee and higher APR from your credit card company. Its much like using your credit card to withdraw cash from the ATM.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 6 of 9
mrldp40
Established Contributor

good advice taz but mine was billed as a purchase ymmv

ready to start a rebuild ex 533 eq 518 tu 541
inquiries EQ 2 EX 0 TU 1 multiple charge off current card green dot secured 500
Message 7 of 9
tray
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you mind sharing what type of hell you went through with Chase, was it the customer service or a personal situation you went through.  Thanks

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tray wrote:

Do you mind sharing what type of hell you went through with Chase, was it the customer service or a personal situation you went through.  Thanks

I frequently had checks deposited -- direct or otherwise, that would show up in my account one day and be mysteriously gone the next. And any bills I had paid in that day would overdraft my account and then I'd be slammed with fines. If I were a less astute customer (or maybe more wealthy, haha), I may not have noticed, but I have one several occasions had to call and demand to know where my money is. 

They would not allow me to stop my debit card from overdrawing my checking account, so when money went missing, I may end up charging a few items to my card, only to realize later the money I had put in was no longer there... AND I was being charged $36 EVERY TIME I used that card. Handful of small, $5 or less charges? Four fines. Yeah, I'd get them taken off... but why bother with the trouble? 

The icing on the cake was my boyfriend's problem. I deposited two checks from him in the amounts of $50 and $300. Chase deposited $600, which overdrafted his account. He didn't realize it until a week later, when he had 7 overdraft fees and an extended overdraft fee. $300 in total in fees from their bank error. Of course, he went to the bank in person and demanded to know what was going on, and they blamed ME, saying that I had stolen money from my boyfriend and he should try to get the money back! Well, of course I bring up my statement, where it clearly says that only $350 has been deposited in my account, not the $600 they claim I stole. So my boyfriend dealt with this headache for an additional two weeks while they figured out what they had done wrong (in the meantime charging him fee after fee after fee). We finally managed to get that money back and remove all but one fee... I pointed out the fee but my boyfriend had had enough and didn't care about a $10 charge. He was just ready to be done with the whole ordeal. But in that time he couldn't use any of the money he had (about $200) and I had to take care of our finances because Chase bank could not. 

Additionally, they have terrible customer service (good luck getting through their phone lines to reach a real person!) and just before the credit bill passed, changed all my account terms, increased the interest rates on my credit cards, and charged me fees that never showed up on my online statements (Mint.com notified me). So I no longer trust them and have moved on to Alliant, where I am very happy and receive interest every month for my deposits, rather than find out money is missing. 

I guess that's great if other people are happy with them. I was happy in the beginning too. I still have one credit card with them that I make a purchase on here or there, but that's mostly just to keep my credit score high. I would never do any other kind of banking with them again. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.