cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unauthorized Credit Inquiries

tag

Unauthorized Credit Inquiries

Are these considered soft pulls since these inquiries aren't seen by anyone else but me?  What exactly do they have access to?

How are companies able to access my report without me granting them authorization? 

12/2014: EQ 642 | TU 632 | EX 627
10/2016: EQ 729 | TU 729 | EX ?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unauthorized Credit Inquiries

Soft pulls can be done without your express permission. They have no impact on your credit score and can generally only be seen by you. I believe companies cannot pull your credit (soft pulls) without a "permissible purpose" under the FCRA. However, permissible purpose is fairly broadly construed. If you want to look more into it, "permissible purpose," it is defined in Section 604 of the FCRA. (15 U.S.C. § 1681b).

Others might be able to give you more detailed information. I am by no means an expert on this. I just think of my credit report as a quasi-public record. Unlike public records people need some sort of purpose to view it, but like public records it is available without my express consent. Thus, hard pulls need express consent while soft pulls do not. 

Disclaimer: I sort of jumped the deep end by talking about this as I know just enough to get myself in trouble. The only real takeaway I can stand behind is that soft pulls without permission is generally the norm.

Message 2 of 10

Thank you for chiming in. 

It's weird to get my report and see a bunch of companies "viewing" it esp when I have no idea who they are. I guess it's the "norm"these days. I just wonder what exactly it is that they can see.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your full credit report is viewable to anyone who soft pulls it. It will show basically everything you see when you pull your report minus the soft pulls (generally only you can see who has soft pulled your report). So information about all your credit accounts that are currently active or active within the last 10 years should be on the report they view. 

Message 4 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A soft pull means it is, by definition, one that is viewable only by the consumer, not by others.

All inquries must either have permissible purpose (i.e., be listed under FCRA 604) OR have been specifically authorized by the consumer.

The only type of so-called soft inquiry that is specifically provided for under the FCRA are the so-called "promotional inquiries" under section 604(c).

That section expressly provides two limitations with respect to inquiries requesting a listing of consumers for making a firm offer for credit:...

1.  the inquiry cannot be shown in any credit report made available to one ofher than the consmer (i.e., it must be recoreded as a "soft pull"); and

2. the inquiry cannot show any account-specific information of the consumer (i.e., they dont get a full credit report).

All other inquiries result ih the inquiree receiving the consumer's complete credit report.

Coding of other types of inquiries as "soft" is not controlled under the FCRA, but rather by policy of the CRAs, such as consumer pulls of theit own reports, and internal account reviews by creditors.

Message 5 of 10

Thank you for such a detailed explanation.  That explains a lot.

Message 6 of 10
Ubuntu
Regular Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

2. the inquiry cannot show any account-specific information of the consumer (i.e., they dont get a full credit report).

Point #2 is key. The companies that do soft pulls / "promotional inquiries" do not see your full report. I don't have a reference but from past reading they're basically looking for potential customers so they specify a set of parameters and the CRA supplies them with a list of people that meet the specifications.

Another key is section 604 (c) (1) (B) (i) which says "the transaction consists of a firm offer of credit or insurance"

So they can't just soft pull for no reason although I doubt this is enforced but these companies are paying for the information so this probably isn't abused.

Message 7 of 10
Billybob_TX
Frequent Contributor

@2010 wrote:

Thank you for chiming in. 

It's weird to get my report and see a bunch of companies "viewing" it esp when I have no idea who they are. I guess it's the "norm"these days. I just wonder what exactly it is that they can see.

You can "opt-out". Google it, and the link is below.

Stops all the soft pulls. https://www.optoutprescreen.com/?rf=t

Message 8 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The section 604(c) promotional inquiry process was created as a specific service to creditors to enable them to limit their offers to only consumers that are likely to qualify.

The CRAs are permitted to produce a listing of consumers who meet set criteria specified by the creditor.  They cannot provide account-specific information to the creditor, but their pre-screening can tell the creditor whether they meet the specified criteria. 

On the flip side, receiving firm offers that specify they are being made as a result of a listing provided by a CRA can be useful information to a consumer who is building or rebuilding, and thus opting-out might not be something one would want to do if they might be seeking new credit as part of their rebuilding plan.

This special type of pre-approved offer is a bit more than simply "junk mail."

The price paid by the creditor when using this CRA pre-screening service under section 604(c) is that they must make a firm offer for credit to every consumer on the listing provided by the CRA.  A firm offer for credit is defined under the FCRA as an offer that must be met if the consumer applies and is found to still meet the specified criteria.

Consumers can prevent the CRAs from including their name in any listing provided by a CRA by sending the CRA and opt-out election.

The FTC has enforced the requirement that the creditor must send a pre-approval firm offer to all consumers on the listing.  They cannot pick and choose.

They have also enforced the failure to grant their firm offer for credit.

The problem the consumer faces on challenging any denail of a firm offer is that they dont know the specific screening criteria provided by the creditor when they obtained their listing.  A request for that info undre FCRA 609(a)(1) could be made, but that caan become a hassle, and has a fee associated with such requests for information in  their credit file......

Message 9 of 10
Ubuntu
Regular Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

The section 604(c) promotional inquiry process was created as a specific service to creditors to enable them to limit their offers to only consumers that are likely to qualify.

The CRAs are permitted to produce a listing of consumers who meet set criteria specified by the creditor.  They cannot provide account-specific information to the creditor, but their pre-screening can tell the creditor whether they meet the specified criteria. 

On the flip side, receiving firm offers that specify they are being made as a result of a listing provided by a CRA can be useful information to a consumer who is building or rebuilding, and thus opting-out might not be something one would want to do if they might be seeking new credit as part of their rebuilding plan.

This special type of pre-approved offer is a bit more than simply "junk mail."

The price paid by the creditor when using this CRA pre-screening service under section 604(c) is that they must make a firm offer for credit to every consumer on the listing provided by the CRA.  A firm offer for credit is defined under the FCRA as an offer that must be met if the consumer applies and is found to still meet the specified criteria.

Consumers can prevent the CRAs from including their name in any listing provided by a CRA by sending the CRA and opt-out election.

The FTC has enforced the requirement that the creditor must send a pre-approval firm offer to all consumers on the listing.  They cannot pick and choose.

They have also enforced the failure to grant their firm offer for credit.

The problem the consumer faces on challenging any denail of a firm offer is that they dont know the specific screening criteria provided by the creditor when they obtained their listing.  A request for that info undre FCRA 609(a)(1) could be made, but that caan become a hassle, and has a fee associated with such requests for information in  their credit file......

There's a lot of good information in the quoted post, particularly the point about the value of pre-screened offers to consumers looking to build credit.

I just want to point out that the difference between a pre-approved offer and a pre-screened offer. A pre-approval guarantees that the consumer will be given an account although it does not guarantee any particular credit limit. Many years ago pre-approvals were quite common but they are much less common today. A pre-screened offer simply means that a consumer was on a list of names supplied by a CRA that match a list of criteria specified by the lender.

In either case a review of the consumers full credit report will be done upon application and the lender will then determine how much credit to extend or whether to extend credit at all.

It's quite common for consumers receiving pre-screened offers to be denied credit after being reviewed by a lender. This can be because of new information added to a report between the time the offer was made and the time the consumer applied or due to the presence of information not covered by the screening criteria that cause a consumer to not meet the lenders standards. There is really nothing a consumer can do after being denied for a pre-screened offer but they will be entitled to a free copy of their report, albeit one without a score.

The laws requirement that a "firm offer of credit" be made would seem to indicate all promotional offers should be pre-approved but lenders apparently don't see it that way.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.