Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unauthorized Inq letter and response

tag
MeganML84
Frequent Contributor

Unauthorized Inq letter and response

Last week I sent this letter (give or take some phrases) to Wells Fargo regarding an inquiry that was unauthorized on my credit report:

Non-PP Puller Company
Address
City State Zip Code

To Whom It May Concern:

I have noticed that you have placed an inquiry on my _________ credit file dated ________. As you probably know, Credit Reporting Agencies treat inquiries as a statement of fact and will not allow a consumer to dispute them. Since it is against federal law (Fair Credit Reporting Act -- 15 USC § 1681n(a)(1)(B) for an entity to view a consumer’s credit report without a "permissible purpose," I am writing to inquire as to your alleged purpose for doing so since I did not apply for employment with your organization nor did I request credit from your organization.

[Describe any additional details about the inquiry here if need be. For example, your a subscriber to XXXX monitoring service and XXXX company pulled a "hard inquiry" on one of your reports.]

Based on the evidence in my possession, this inquiry was performed under false pretenses as described in the clear language of the law. 15 USC §1681n(a)(1)(B ) states, in part, "in the case of liability of a natural person for obtaining a consumer report under false pretenses or knowingly without a permissible purpose, actual damages sustained by the consumer as a result of the failure or $1,000, whichever is greater;"

You are civilly liable to me in the amount of $1,000.00 for your willful violation of the law -- performing a "hard inquiry" on my __________ file without my permission. I do hope that we can settle this matter amicably. You can remove the inquiry within one (1) business day of the receipt of this notice. Or, we can meet in court where you will end up removing the inquiry, paying me the civil liability fine, punitive damages for my score drop, plus court and attorney fees. The choice is up to you.
Please contact me immediately at the address listed below.

Sincerely,

Consumer
Address
City State Zip Code

I sent the letter CMRRR so I know they got it at the end of last week (the green card is in my glove box so I can't remember the exact date). Anyway the point is, it has been several days, I have not heard anything from them and as far as CreditKeeper is telling me, the inquiry is still on my credit report. What do I do now? I do not really want to go through the hassle of suing them, but if I have to I will. I think I may report them to the FTC and cc them on the letter that I send to the FTC, does anyone have any other suggestions?? (And I FOR SURE did not authorize this inquiry, just in case anyone was wondering Smiley Tongue)
Wisdom doesn't automatically come with old age. Nothing does - except wrinkles. It's true, some wines improve with age... but only if the grapes were good in the first place.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unauthorized Inq letter and response

Love the letter.  You may or may not be alerted for a removed inquiry depending on whether or not your score improves with the removal.  the only way to be sure would b to run another report.  That being said, you can always make a follow-up call to see if they have resolved the matter or call the bureau with your current report number and ask about said inquiry,.
Message 2 of 3
MeganML84
Frequent Contributor

Re: Unauthorized Inq letter and response

Brammy wrote:
Love the letter.  You may or may not be alerted for a removed inquiry depending on whether or not your score improves with the removal.  the only way to be sure would b to run another report.  That being said, you can always make a follow-up call to see if they have resolved the matter or call the bureau with your current report number and ask about said inquiry,.

Thanks for your response but I can't take credit for the letter, it was all Tuscani. I believe I may pull the reports today just to see for sure, thanks again!

Wisdom doesn't automatically come with old age. Nothing does - except wrinkles. It's true, some wines improve with age... but only if the grapes were good in the first place.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.