Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unauthorized Inquiry

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unauthorized Inquiry

I have been working on rebuilding my credit with lots of help from reading posts on these boards (When I started I was at 523 about a year and a half ago, now my lowest report is a 633. Last week I recieved a Barclay Rewards card on recon when 2 weeks ago I didn't even know that recon was a thing I could do.  So thanks to all of you who post so much helpful information).  About 2 weeks ago I recieved an alert from an auto loan agency that I didn't apply for. I immediately contacted them fearing my identity had been used without consent.  After a brief investigation, the Customer Service Rep called me back saying that what had happened was that an agent had typed the wrong number in an application and had realized his mistake quickly, and that no one was trying to use my identity to buy a car.  While I was relieved at that, I was still annoyed that the inquiry was on my account, so I filed a dispute with Equifax.  After their investigation was completed they sent me a message to view the results.  Their results simply told me, and I'm paraphrasing, that an inquiry was when someone pulled my credit report, and that if I beleived it was in error, I should contact the lender.  I'm just confused as to the process here, since the inquiry is apparently staying on my report for now.  Will they not remove an inquiry that I didn't authorize? 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Unauthorized Inquiry

Have the creditor who admitted to the mistake contact the CRA and request deletion of the improper inquiry.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.