cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unauthorized credit check - worth disputing?

tag
Pap22
Established Member

Unauthorized credit check - worth disputing?

I have TransUnion TrueCredit credit monitoring and unlimited credit reports from all three CRAs. I noted that on June 10th, Comcast did a check for credit worthiness because I requested an upgrade to digital cable (apparently they do a check before loaning you the set-top box).

However, they did not inform me of this (during the phone call). In fact, I would have declined the discounted digital TV package if I had known it would go down as a [hard] inquiry (I hardly watch TV). My credit report shows an inquiry for Comcast under Equifax only. The number of inquiries under Equifax went from 1 to 2 (last two years). As a result, the credit score for Equifax went from 629 to 625.

I care because I am planning on getting a general purpose loan for a very small amount for no other reason than strengthening my credit record (I have several [now paid] collections on my record from 3+ years ago when I did not have a job). Right now, my only lines of credit are all revolving credit cards. Once my score goes up, I want to get an auto loan. Maybe next year a mortgage if the market is right.

I called Comcast billing, then Comcast sales and of course both reps I spoke to were absolutely clueless. One said she would have a manager look into it and call me back the next day; they never did. But it must be invalid for them to do a check for credit worthiness if they don't inform me and I don't authorize it, correct? If the dispute wins, can the fact that I disputed harm my credit record? I hear too many disputes can be a negative.

For reference, my credit scores (and the number of inquiries in the last two years):

TransUnion: 625 (4)
Experian: 596 (8)
Equifax: 625 (2)
(previously: 629 (1))

The number of inquiries is really the only difference between the credit records. I understand that these are all FAKO scores, but the point is that you can see the effect that inquiries have.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unauthorized credit check - worth disputing?

While they may have had PP- they should have informed you-

If you dispute it- count on a 90 day Fraud alert.
Message 2 of 4
smallfry
Senior Contributor

This is outrageous. FICO needs to reclassify these types of inquiries. No credit was applied for was it? Not right.
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Pap, if you did not authorize a hard pull, what they did is simply illegal.  With no TL with them, I would dispute.

Message Edited by RobertEG on 06-22-2008 06:36 PM
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.