Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding the game and cc's

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Understanding the game and cc's

Ok wise folks fighting the good fight....

In a nutshell here is the deal.  Own a house since 1998 and have paid for it with some regularity.  Started my own business used a refi and ALL of my available credit on CC to capitalize said business.  Sold business 24 months (2003) later for a profit and thought it would be better to buy a Harley than pay down debt.  Major medical problems with child and lost followup job (2004).  Engaged a non profit credit counseling outfit to pay down bills after I got back on my feet (2004 - 2006).  Think about checking credit during this time at all?  NOPE just ignorant.

Skip forward to 2007...
Current employer offers me a promotion to move across the country and i take it.  Attempt to qualify for a mortage through company provided relocation process find out that my fico's are in the high 400's.  In addition to this I have closed all of my cc accounts through the credit counseling process and have been getting by on a cash basis.  I understand through reading the forums what I need to do to work with all of the collection accounts and the CC companies that felt no need to update my bueros once they got my money from the cccs organization.

I provide all of this background to ask you the following question

IF throught the insight provided here I am able to get my scores back to a manageable level I am still killing myself by having no revolving accounts.  I am in a timeframe of needing to have this move completed in 9 months.  Give that time frame will adding a secured credit card that will be kept at a 5%  util hurt me more than I am now having no current revolving credit?

TIA

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Understanding the game and cc's

Pull and print all 3 reports and go though them line by line highlighting inaccurate information.

I believe in the "Determine the best and worse outcome" if the information is disputed method.

Start with the biggest baddest baddies first-

Ask any questions.

I really think you need to Repair before you start re-building.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

highjacking my own thread then.

because of they way i when through cccs organization i have a a ton of baddies ranging from 30 60 90 lates 2 small charge off and several collection as well as 2 public record judgements (about 20 per cra report) in which order do i prioritize them?  And yes while legitimately these are bad on my responsibility more than half are not fully accurate in there reporting ie judgements that were satisfied not reporting as paid, accounts that were paid in full marked as still open with a balance and so forth
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Start with Balances and Account status's and CA's.

Then go after the payment history.

FYI: You can't logically dispute "Not mine" after "Never late"
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Timothy wrote:

I fully understand that and it sure would have been great to understand the concept of a pfd in 2005 and 2006
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ask any specific questions you want-

It is very easy to get overwhelmed- create a plan and execute it.

I was at 480 in Dec 06 - there is hope.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I fully understand that and it sure would have been great to understand the concept of a pfd in 2005 and 2006

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let's start with the legal stuff first -- the judgment liens.  Make sure you have an actual copy of the judgment.  You can get that from the county clerk.

Make sure that a "release of judgment lien" was filed in the court for each judgment.  If it was, make sure you get a certified copy from the county clerk.  That may cost you $20.  If a release of judgment lien has not been filed (and it probably hasn't because it's the debtor's responsibility to get this document filed in the county court), then you need to get a release to the judgment creditor and ask the judgment creditor to sign it.  (Sometimes the judgment creditor will provide the document.)  

Then you need to make several copies of the signed and notarized release and then take the original and all your copies to the county clerk.  The county clerk will file-stamp the original and all of your copies, retain the original and one copy for further processing, and return the file-stamped copies to you right then and there.  Do not lose these copies because they are proof that you filed the release with the court.

After the clerk removes the judgment lien from your record (or, more accurately, reflects that it was paid and a release issued), then the clerk will send the original or a copy back to you (sometimes the courts keep the original).  That could take as long as a month.  You will need to pay a small fee to the county clerk for this service (no more than $20).  In the meantime, you can use your conformed copies the same as an original for purposes of getting the judgment lien updated as paid on your credit reports.

Note that this procedure is time consuming.  I would personally advise you to take the release personally to the judgment creditor (if that is an option) and wait for the signature, and then I would definitely take the signed & notarized release to the county clerk myself.  If you have to mail off these documents, then use an overnight delivery service and not the U.S. Postal Service.

This is the only way to legally prove that you have paid the judgment.  This is one of those things that if you don't take care of now, you will be taking care of it in 5-10 years.  (Or, in your case, when you're sitting down for closing and this judgment lien shows up and the closing is delayed until you get it taken care of.)  This is one reason why you should never let a debt go to court.  And if your debt does go to court, don't ignore the summons -- show up at the hearing and explain your situation to the judge.  You might get a reprieve -- i.e., in rare cases, the judge can demand that the creditor work with you on the debt rather than just granting a judgment.  If you don't show up, the judge will grant a default judgment.

Here's a sample of a release of judgment lien:
***********************************************************************************************************

RELEASE OF JUDGMENT LIEN

THE STATE OF ____________)
                                                   )       KNOW ALL MEN BY THESE PRESENTS:
COUNTY OF ____________     )

On ________________ [date of judgment], _________________ [name of judgment creditor], Plaintiff, obtained a Judgment against _________________ [your name or name on judgment], Defendant, in the Justice of the Peace Court [or District Court, or whatever the name of the court was] of ______ County, ____ [state], in Cause No. ____ [court file number on the judgment].  Said judgment was for $__________, plus the sum of $______ as reasonable attorney's fees, together with all costs of court and interest at the highest lawful rate per annum from ____ [date of judgment].  [Makae sure this language tracks the judgment.]

An abstract of said judgment was filed and appears in the Judgment Records of _____ County, [state], in Volume ____, Page _____ [you need to get a copy of the judgment to know this information], which record is made a part hereof and reference is here by made to same for a better description of judgment; and whereas such judgment has been paid and at the time of its payment the undersigned was the legal owner and holder of such judgment, and entitled to receive payment thereof:

NOW, THEREFORE, __________________ [name of judgment creditor], in consideration of the premises, does hereby acknowledge payment of such judgment, and does hereby release unto the said ___________ [your name or name on judgment], and does hereby release unto the said ____________ [your name or name on judgment], his/her heirs and assigns, any and all liens heretofore existing by reason of such judgment.

Executed this ______ day of _____________, 200___.

__________________________________
                                                                                        Name:  ____________________________
                                                                                        Title:  ______________________________

STATE OF _________ )
                                      )
COUNTY OF _______ )

This instrument was acknowledged before me on the _____ day of _________, 200__, by _______ _____________________________ of _____________ [name of judgment creditor], a ________ [state] corporation [or other entity], on behalf of said corporation.

__________________________________
                                                                                        Notary Public in and for the State of _____

Notary Seal:

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great advise everyone thanks for the help.

Here is my plan of attack
  1. NEVER EVER BE LATE AGAIN
  2. Pull All three bureaus - DONE
  3. NEVER EVER BE LATE AGAIN
  4. Import them into a spreadsheet and code them by the following priorities: - DONE
    Judgements
    Wrong Account Info
    CA
    Chargeoffs
    Lates
  5. NEVER EVER BE LATE AGAIN
  6. begin the aforementioned process to release the known liens that are paid off
  7. NEVER EVER BE LATE AGAIN
  8. Start the process of clean up what can be cleaned up on the other items
  9. NEVER EVER BE LATE AGAIN
  10. Get a secured card to have some revolving history no util above 5%
  11. NEVER EVER BE LATE AGAIN
  12. Finance my house with a crappy rate but no prepayment penalty (so i can refi when the score continues to improve)
  13. and in case I forgot to mention it NEVER EVER BE LATE AGAIN

Seriously though I have about 2 more weeks to get this handled while i am still working where the courts and the original creditors.  I should be able to get those 2 judgements taken care of with the release.  Do i have any recourse if these were satisfied and never filed for a lien release from the the OC's?

Thanks In Advance

Message Edited by work_in_progress on 10-22-2007 03:13 PM
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

does this sound like a reasonable plan?

just wanted to make sure i was not off my rocker
Message 9 of 10
scramblingin2007
Established Contributor

work_in_progress wrote:
Great advise everyone thanks for the help.

Here is my plan of attack
  1. NEVER EVER BE LATE AGAIN
  2. Pull All three bureaus - DONE
  3. NEVER EVER BE LATE AGAIN
  4. Import them into a spreadsheet and code them by the following priorities: - DONE
    Judgements
    Wrong Account Info
    CA
    Chargeoffs
    Lates
  5. NEVER EVER BE LATE AGAIN
  6. begin the aforementioned process to release the known liens that are paid off
  7. NEVER EVER BE LATE AGAIN
  8. Start the process of clean up what can be cleaned up on the other items
  9. NEVER EVER BE LATE AGAIN
  10. Get a secured card to have some revolving history no util above 5%
  11. NEVER EVER BE LATE AGAIN
  12. Finance my house with a crappy rate but no prepayment penalty (so i can refi when the score continues to improve)
  13. and in case I forgot to mention it NEVER EVER BE LATE AGAIN

Seriously though I have about 2 more weeks to get this handled while i am still working where the courts and the original creditors.  I should be able to get those 2 judgements taken care of with the release.  Do i have any recourse if these were satisfied and never filed for a lien release from the the OC's?

Thanks In Advance

Message Edited by work_in_progress on 10-22-2007 03:13 PM

You forgot one thing: Never, Ever be Late! LOL! That's what's killing my score is my lates so I have bonded with them(cause I can't seem to get rid of them) and promised myself never to be late ever on anything!
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.