Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected Hard Pull

tag
User11

Unexpected Hard Pull

Hello folks,

I'm planning to open a checking account with Citizens Bank and before doing so I tried to find out whether this results in a hard pull on my credit file. Unfortunately different customer agents give me different contradictory information about this: some say there will be no hard pull, others say there will be one. The branch office representative told me that they will not make a hard pull since this is not a credit line. Recently I came across this sad story http://www.justanswer.com/consumer-protection-law/7u3a2-opened-checking-account-citizens-bank-boston... which is very relevant to my case. In short, the guy there was told there will be no hard pull but in the end there was one and now he cannot do anything about it at all.

So here is my question: is there anything I can do beforehand to protect myself from an unexpected hard pull and have grounds to dispute it if it appears? I'm thinking of writing a short statement on the application form, something like "a credit inquiry shared with others on my credit file is not authorized" or maybe asking them to give me a written response indicating there will be no hard pull for opening the checking account. However I'm not sure if any methods like these are sufficient to succesfully dispute an inquery according to FCRA. Any ideas of what can be done here are highly appreciated!

Thanks!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Unexpected Hard Pull

Actually, I don't think there is.  I know some CUs are automatic with doing a HP for an account, some banks do too.  It's permissable.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 9
User11

So even if they claim there will be no hard pull and then make one it is still legitimate and the consumer cannot do anything about it at all? Could this be viewed as a misrepresentation to solicit an account application?

Message 3 of 9
user5387
Valued Contributor

I don't think the issue is worth pursuing very far.

There are bigger issues with credit reports than the number of inquiries, and I'd focus on those.

Message 4 of 9
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

My credit union created a hp for myself and one for my wife. This cuts down fraud/theft/false identities for them and gives them a base of which services they can offer you based on that information. For example, my wife and I each applied and received a Visa card with very nice clis on our initial visit with the same pull. As we were going auto shopping, it also pre determined our borrowing limit, term, and interest rate.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 5 of 9
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

why not freeze all of your credit reports? This way no HP can be done. 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 6 of 9
Loques
Regular Contributor

@bigblue7722 wrote:

+1.  My exact thought!

Current Score (11/2020): EQ: 753 | TU: 731 | EX: 749---Starting Score (3/2010): EQ: 522 | TU: 525 | EX: 520---Goal: All 3 FICO 800+
--------------------
Message 7 of 9
User11

@bigblue7722 wrote:

This is an interesting idea! Never occured to me. I researched the topic a little and unfortunately it turns out in my state each bureau charges a $10 fee each time the freeze is initiated or lifted. Also, if I understand correctly this may get in a way if I seek a new employment (which may happen soon). Placing a freeze would only allow soft pulls from the existing creditors, right?

Message 8 of 9
d170
Regular Contributor

Honestly, to me, 30-60$ is worth dropping than to take the HP.  I also believe, you can advise your employer of the freeze and advise you're concerned about identity theft.  

Time to Garden!!
EQ 703 TU 752 EX 711 as of 07/19/2014. In the garden until 01/19/2015. Baby steps, baby steps!! Trying for 750 ACROSS THE BOARD.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.