cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unique National Collections - Library - PFD?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unique National Collections - Library - PFD?

I have a debt with the Santa Monica Public Library. The library said I have to pay them and not to contact Unique which is listed on my credit report.

1) I read that Unique won't do a PFD. Should I mail the library a PFD and offer to pay the debt if they agree to remove it?

2) How does Unique report the debt but not collect the money? I read this is a violation of the FCRA.

I also read that one person said their wallet was stolen and asked the library to pull the account from collections, then they disputed it with the CRAs and paid the debt off to the library.

Thanks.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Re: Unique National Collections - Library - PFD?

kbox wrote:
I have a debt with the Santa Monica Public Library. The library said I have to pay them and not to contact Unique which is listed on my credit report.

1) I read that Unique won't do a PFD. Should I mail the library a PFD and offer to pay the debt if they agree to remove it?

2) How does Unique report the debt but not collect the money? I read this is a violation of the FCRA.

I also read that one person said their wallet was stolen and asked the library to pull the account from collections, then they disputed it with the CRAs and paid the debt off to the library.

Thanks.

I'm guessing that neither are appearing on your CBRs?   They only have Unique try to recover for them... so honestly I would just go pay in person and leave it at that (if nothing is reporting).

After 176 days overdue though they do state that UNC's actions 'may' affect your credit rating.  http://www.smpl.org/depts/circ/borrowing.htm

Now, if both are appearing on your reports, that is a different story... both cannot report the same debt as unpaid.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

No just the Unique is on my CBR. But they don't take the money, only the library.

I guess I will just send PFDs to both the library and Unique and see what happens.

Thanks.
Message 3 of 8
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

kbox wrote:
No just the Unique is on my CBR. But they don't take the money, only the library.

I guess I will just send PFDs to both the library and Unique and see what happens.

Thanks.

What do you do if both accept your offer?  Smiley Tongue

The library is offering for you to settle with them (the OC) which means they will pull the CA out of the pic.  If you are going to PFD anyone, make it them but modify it to state they are removing the CA reporting.  They'll probably give you a discount if you return those books first too.

But BTW if you paid the library today, you could legitimately dispute the CA anyway... though I'm sure it would be removed by the library.  Library stuff is really easy to fix.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unique will tell you to contact the library.

I will return the books and then I owe $20. But they said they'd just report to Unique that it was paid and Unique would report to the CBR that it was paid/closed.

I'm going to mail the books back and mail the modified PDF to the library.
Message 5 of 8
jj15
New Contributor

Library stuff is really easy to fix.

YEAH RIGHT! I have been battling library stuff for 3 months now with no end in sight.The library says there's nothing they can do because it would break the contract with the CA and the CA won't do anything cause they say what they're reporting is accurate. It's a wild goose chase. Message Edited by jj15 on 01-25-2008 01:43 PM

Message Edited by jj15 on 01-25-2008 01:43 PM
01/05/08 EQ 598 TU 612 Experian 599
01/25/08 EQ 605 TU 620 Experian 599
08/04/08 EQ 658 TU??? Experian 635
Message 6 of 8
azsassycat
Frequent Contributor

I'll update my situation as soon as I know more, but here's what I did.

I paid the library the $43 I owed them and sent UNC a DV letter the same day - we'll see what happens.
10/22/07 (FICO) EQ 544 EX 520 TU 518
03/04/08 (FICO) EQ 606 EX 599 TU 601
04/24/08 (FICO) EQ 600 EX 580 TU 608
06/02/15 (FICO) EQ 578 EX 561 TU 589
Message 7 of 8
enerey
Regular Contributor

I know this post is old but I was wondering if anyone has an update?
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.