Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

University charging me money I do not owe

tag
chasmith
Valued Contributor

Re: University charging me money I do not owe

So this is a government entity, and an original creditor.  The AG is involved because the State Government is the creditor, through its agency, the university.  I don't think FDCPA applies to original creditors, does it?  

I also think the FCRA will have limited impact on a government entity.

This is a whole different ballgame.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 15
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@chasmith wrote:

So this is a government entity, and an original creditor.  The AG is involved because the State Government is the creditor, through its agency, the university.  I don't think FDCPA applies to original creditors, does it?  

I also think the FCRA will have limited impact on a government entity.

This is a whole different ballgame.

If the OC is collecting and uses a name other than OC, yes, the FDCPA could apply.  For instance an in house collection that doesn't use AG but something else.

The FCRA applies to all entities, government or not.  Just because they are a government agency doesn't keep them from following the rules and regulations of credit reporting.

Message 12 of 15
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

"FDCPA 803(6)

The term "debt collector" .... includes any creditor who, in the process of collecting its own debts, uses any name other than his own which would indicate that a third person is collecting or attempting to collect such debts"

"FCRA 603(b)

The term "person" means any individual, partnership, corporation, trust, estate, cooperative, association, government of govenmental subdivision or agency, or other entity."

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm... government or not, they should be required to provide supporting documentation for the claim. Not familiar with the state laws but under different data pratice laws you can request documentation. May need an attorney to protect your rights. Very strange.
Message 14 of 15
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hmm... government or not, they should be required to provide supporting documentation for the claim. Not familiar with the state laws but under different data pratice laws you can request documentation. May need an attorney to protect your rights. Very strange.

It isn't the government (the AG office).  The debt was sent to them from the OC without any documentation due to all of it being deleted on a computer upgrade. 

They are taking the Universities word for it.

I agree an attorney may be needed.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.