cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

University has sued me; obtained a judgment!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: University has sued me; obtained a judgment!

California allows for service by publication as well as nail & mail.  I bet you $1k I could have you served in CA within a month.

Thanks for mentioning that. But to serve me, the lawyer has to know I am in CA. I moved in 2009, and more than two years later, he has no idea where I am, nor do some insurance lawyers in PA who have been trying to serve me.

Message 21 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You are seriously confused.

Judgments remain on your credit report for 7 years.  It will not stay on your credit report for 10 + 10.  How long the judgment remains on your credit report and how long the judgment can be enforced against you are two different things. 

You are wrong about your private student loan.  Several years ago Congresss passed legislation that provides for private student loans to be non-dischargeable in bankruptcy. 

The only one, if everything you say is actually true, that gets shafted by filing bankruptcy is you.  The private student loans will not be discharged.  The judgment creditor, according to your theory, will never get paid anyhow so they have already lost.  You will end up paying legal fees or at least court costs for filing bankruptcy.  Looks like you lose.

You are right I had the SOL and credit report time limits confused. I apologize for that.

You are wrong about student loans and bankruptcy. Student loans backed by the government can be discharged through the loan cancellation process or through BK if you are disabled. I have been getting Socal Security Disability now since 1993, so I qualify. As for the private student loan, that can be discharged through BK, upon showing of a extreme hardship like disability.

I will **bleep** over the lawyer/debtee my having him see his debt washed away in BK proceedings! Otherwise he can pusue the debt for many many years, even though I am judgment proof. 

I guess you missed the class in law school about what CA bankruptcy courts consider extreme hardship.

Getting SSDi does not automatically mean you have an extreme hardship.  Bankruptcy courts in CA subscribe to the theory that if you have two legs and one arm you can wash cars to earn money to pay your debts.  In BK, there is no difference whatsoever between private student loans and government-direct student loans.  Unless, of course, you get elected to Congress and get new legislation passed.

Message 22 of 47
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Geeze Louise, pay your debt.

2500 bucks? Sheesh...

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 23 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Geeze Louise, pay your debt.

2500 bucks? Sheesh...

Nah.  Some people just like stiffing others.

Message 24 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nah.  Some people just like stiffing others.

After how I've been treated, yes. Anyway, I am not doing anything the law does not allow. If you do not like the law, then you can change it.

Take care.

Message 25 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess you missed the class in law school about what CA bankruptcy courts consider extreme hardship.

Getting SSDi does not automatically mean you have an extreme hardship.  Bankruptcy courts in CA subscribe to the theory that if you have two legs and one arm you can wash cars to earn money to pay your debts.  In BK, there is no difference whatsoever between private student loans and government-direct student loans.  Unless, of course, you get elected to Congress and get new legislation passed.

The government loans will be discharged through the normal non-BK discharge process. I just need a doctor's sig. It's only the private loan that will be subject to BK. If the government has already discharged their loans, I don't see the private loan not being discharged, especially in liberal CA.

Message 26 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

^

Good luck tilting at windmills.

Message 27 of 47
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Did you know (It sounds like you do) that if you go to jail for more than 30 days, or prison which is obviously more than 30 days, your SSD will stop?

I know you won't go to jail for this judgment issue, but you mentioned that you have hid from the police in the past.

You also know, that since the Government has your address to send your SSD checks, then you are one click away from being found and, therefore, served.

I have been screwed over lots of times, too.  But that doesn't mean I didn't pay the bills.  It sounds like you have a lot of criminal thinking errors, up to and including, entitlement issues.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 28 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I have to say that I find this whole thread really distasteful.  You acknowledge that the original debt was yours:  the parking tickets were and you kept those library books.  By the way - that's theft!   Willfully keeping property that is not yours, that is criminal.

And then to seek advice on how to avoid the justice that was handed to you, after you've admitted your guilt here?  

A lot of people come to this forum seeking help from situations where they had some bad judgement, made bad spending choices, or life kicked them in the butt.  But by and large, they're looking for ways to clean up their act, fly the straight path and do things right as they move forward.  

You're asking for people here to help you cheat the law.  To hide your address and avoid being held accountable in court?  That's despicable.  

Pay the lousy $2500, take your lumps and grow a conscience.  Leave the boards here for decent folks trying to get out of financial trouble honorably.

Message 29 of 47
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

--and to add, you've violated the Terms of Service and User Guidelines by discussing (and bragging about) your unethical methods of escaping legitimate debt, methods that are apparently illegal as well per O6's comments.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 30 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.