Established Contributor
rifleman

Upgrading Credit Cards

I see there was recently talk of converting or upgrading AMEX Delta Skymiles to AMEX BLUE CASH. I did that and it worked like a charm--no credit pulled, no new account numbers.

I am wondering--can I upgrade any of my other cards--I have a CITI AMEX AAdvantage card, an Orchard Bank Card and a Capital One card.

It worked with AMEX, maybe it'll work with others? Also while we're on that subject, can someone explain how having a prime credit card on a report is more helpful to your FICO then having a subprime card?
Regular Contributor
PeggyFair

Re: Upgrading Credit Cards

Good question. I'm wondering the same thing myself. I have a Bofa card that I would like to upgrade to another of their cards with the type of deal that I want. I am eager to see what the answer to this question is.
04/18/2008 TU 723 EQ 715 EX 746
Moderator Emeritus
fused

rifleman wrote:
I see there was recently talk of converting or upgrading AMEX Delta Skymiles to AMEX BLUE CASH. I did that and it worked like a charm--no credit pulled, no new account numbers.

I am wondering--can I upgrade any of my other cards--I have a CITI AMEX AAdvantage card, an Orchard Bank Card and a Capital One card.

It worked with AMEX, maybe it'll work with others? Also while we're on that subject, can someone explain how having a prime credit card on a report is more helpful to your FICO then having a subprime card?

It has been confirmed by FICO that sub-prime and prime CCs are weighted equally, one is not scored better than the other. This policy will continue with the new FICO scoring model that takes effect this September.
Credit Profile -
FICO 08 Scores (08-22-2014): EQ 820, EX 817, TU 815
All three scores were 850. Lost points for not having an open installment TL. So, BE WARNED!!!!!
Credit History: 26+ years ~ AAoA: 12 years ~ Util: 1% ~ Inqs: EX 1 (Amex 07-15-2014)

Credit Cards -
Amex BCP 25K ~ Amex Clear 25K ~ Amex Platinum NPSL ~ Chase Freedom Visa 19.3K ~ CITI Dividend World Mastercard 20.3K ~ FIA Fidelity Investments Platinum Plus Visa 40K ~ First Hawaiian Bank Gold Visa 10K
Established Contributor
rifleman

Hey I just answered my own question partially---You can convert cards within CITI bank--I got an AADvantage AMEX card through them and I just converted it to the Citi® Dividend Platinum Select® MasterCard®, which is a more prestigious card requiring "excellent credit". MY credit scores are far from excellent when I applied for the Addvantage card my scores were
tu: 611
eq:638
ex:652

So I guess it's true! You can convert up without having your credit pulled! This is a good strategy I'm seeing--get your foot in the door, then Level up!
New Contributor
ibe333333

i just called up and asked to upgrade on an HSBC/Orchand Bank card...it didn't fly with them. maybe someone else will have some luck with it.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+