cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upstart Loan takes academics into consideration?

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Upstart Loan takes academics into consideration?

It looks like Prosper but it allows you to put in schooling, testing, and length in profession that says will way into approvals and rate... Anyone try it out to see if you end up any different then say Prosper or Lendingclub?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Upstart Loan takes academics into consideration? DENIED

here is what happens when I did it for myself:

We're sorry to inform you that you don't yet qualify for Upstart funding. We plan to expand eligibility over time, and will email you when you become eligible.

Currently, to be eligible for a Loan on Upstart, you must:
  • Be a U.S. citizen, or permanent resident currently living in the US
  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Have graduated from a 4-year accredited college, or
    • Be currently enrolled in a 4-year accredited college, or
    • Be accepted to one of our partner institutions
  • Have a job or have accepted a job that will start in 6 months, or
    • Be accepted to one of our partner institutions
  • Have a verifiable name, date of birth and social security number
  • Meet our minimum credit requirements Learn more
  • APR between 6% - 19.99%
Message 2 of 8
Jarnog
Frequent Contributor

Denied

Mine just said my score wasn't high enough.  TU checked, and they apparently want at least a 640 or higher.

Mine was 628 per what they said Smiley Sad.

Soft pull so no biggie there, thank god Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 8
Jarnog
Frequent Contributor

If you want more specifics here is the letter/response Smiley Tongue

After carefully reviewing your application for a loan on the Upstart platform, we are unable to offer you credit on the terms you requested for the reasons set out below.

Principal Reason for Our Denial of Your Request for Loan:
Loans on Upstart are currently unavailable to those who have a credit score below 640.

Disclosure of Use of Information Obtained From an Outside Source

If we obtained information from a consumer reporting agency as part of our consideration of your application, its name, address and toll-free telephone number are listed below. You have a right under the Fair Credit Reporting Act to know the information contained in your credit file at the consumer reporting agency. The reporting agency played no part in our decision and is unable to supply specific reasons why we have denied credit to you. You also have a right to a free copy of your report from the reporting agency, if you request it no later than 60 days after you receive this notice. In addition, if you find that any information contained in the report you receive is inaccurate or incomplete, you have the right to dispute the matter with the reporting agency. You can find out more information contained in your file by contacting:

• Name: TransUnion
  • Address: P.O. Box 2000, Chester, PA. 19022
  • Telephone number: 1-800-916-8800

We also obtained your credit score from this consumer reporting agency and used it in making our credit decision. Your credit score is a number that reflects the information in your consumer report. Your credit score can change, depending on how the information in your consumer report changes.

• Your credit score: 628
  • Date: 2014-05-14

Scores range from a low of 300 to a high of 850. Key factors that adversely affected your credit score are:

• Derogatory public record or collection filed
  • Proportion of balances to credit limits is too high on bank revolving or other revolving accounts
  • Length of time accounts have been established
  • Proportion of loan balances to loan amounts is too high

If you have any questions regarding your credit score, you should contact TransUnion at the address or telephone number above.

If you have any questions regarding this notice, please contact us at the following address:

• Cross River Bank
  • c/o Upstart Loan Operations
  • P.O. Box 61203
  • Palo Alto, CA 94036

Sincerely,

Cross River Bank

Teaneck, NJ

Notice: The federal Equal Credit Opportunity Act prohibits creditors from discriminating against credit applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, age (provided the applicant has the capacity to enter into a binding contract); because all or part of the applicant's income derives from any public assistance program; or because the applicant has in good faith exercised any right under the Consumer Credit Protection Act. The federal agency that administers our compliance with this law is the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, FDIC Consumer Response Center, 1100 Walnut St., Box #11, Kansas City, MO 64106.

Ohio Residents: The Ohio laws against discrimination require that all creditors make credit equally available to all credit worthy customers, and that credit reporting agencies maintain separate credit histories on each individual upon request. The Ohio civil rights commission administers compliance with this law.

Message 4 of 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

So to me it looks like they denied due to credit scores just like any bank or CU.  So......

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Upstart Loan takes academics into consideration?

Haha
Message 6 of 8
juggar
Contributor

I dont want to necro a thread... but I applied to upstart last night and was aproved immediatly(6K loan and implying my supporting documents are good). 

Yes, they will deny you if your credit score is less than 640 (They pull transunion). They made this much clear early on. 

I think it is important to mention that I also have a 20K car loan. 

Dont apply if you've got any baddies on your credit like bankruptcies and delinquent accounts, they also made it clear that stuff wont be tolerated.

They do after all pride themselves on catering to those who are financially responsible, mostly young people with decent jobs and degrees.

640 is a decent cutoff (for an online service), I could only get approved by prosper otherwise(30% APR...yeah, no thanks)

My transunion is 674 and I had 10 inquires(which is apparantly far too many for most financial institutions)  when I applied.

I actually applied to prosper and "Discover personal loans(invitation in the mail yesterday which sparked all this)" 

Discover denied me because I had "more than 7 inquires" (Really???) , Prosper gave me some pathetic 30% APR offer on a 6K loan. 

The whole purpose of me getting a loan is for debt consolidation... My credit cards average APR is 21-23%. 

When I submited my info they gave me a 15% APR and 11% interest rate, which is way better than proser and better than my credit cards. 

So, I went foward with the process and you need to upload: Proof of employment, college transcript, proof of additional income and SAT scores(can be waived depending on circumstance). 

They take all of these factors into consideration for the APR and interest rate. So, its not soley based on your credit score and income. 

They will rate your loan on a scale of AAA - C for potential investors and I was told that all approved loans were funded within 2 days since they had started. 

My loan was rated B with my 674 credit score and income at 43K total. They also took my GPA , SAT scores and college diploma into consideration. 

There is no pre payment penality. 

Now the icing on the cake was the offer of a $100 Amazon gift card(You only see this after you get pretty far in) if I uploaded my supporting documents within 24 hours and they were deemed acceptable. 

During my college tenure I had racked up a pretty good credit card bill and so did my friends(I influenced them...lol), if you refer someone and they get approved you both get $100 amazon gift cards. I am having one of my friends apply today so I am hoping he gets approved(borderline 640 with 25 inquires). 

Overall, from what I have seen, this is a great loan opportunity for those that would be severly limited otherwise. 

Admittedly, it seems to be in a very niche category but they seem to have done well and they reassured me that all approved loans were funded in few days.

I wrote this review since I could not find any review at all on this forum and maybe this will help someone in the future.  

Amex Green, Chase Freedom(7.5K), Nationwide Visa Signature(6K), Chase Sapphire Preferred(6k), Cap One VentureOne visa signature (5K) BoA Cash Rewards siggy (5K), BoA travel rewards visa siggy(5K) PayPal Extras Mastercard(5K), Capital One QuickSilver(2.25K) Newegg Preferred Account(2K), Citi Forward(3.4K), Dell Account(2K) Discover IT(2.4K), Chase Slate (1.5K) Citi Diamond Preferred ($800), BestBuy Mastercard ($1500),Bill-Me-Later(1.2K), ,Barclay Mastercard(2K). TigerDirect TigerPay(3.15K), Wal-mart credit card(3.9K), Amazon store card (2K)

equifax - 720, TU - 747, Exp - 734 - report date 11/24/2014
15+ inqs...
Message 7 of 8
CreditGuy03
Established Contributor

Was just denied. My score on the letter was 700. Apparantley they dont like negatives period no matter how long ago it was.

I have lates that happened 5-6 years ago they said I had too many lates.

Which leads me to believe it isnt worth it. If I have have a clean record with no baddies then why would I apply for your product when i could go to a bank?

Equifax - 628, Experian -627, Transunion- 654 In the garden until 01/01/2019
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.