Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using CC to pay monthly bills

tag
CreditJunkie917
Frequent Contributor

Using CC to pay monthly bills

My go to cc has a $10k limit, while I stuffed my other(CAP1) in the SD. I want to pay my monthly bills, minus rent(allotment through the military), and SL which auto deduct from bank acct...onto the cc. It's a new card, just found out it cuts on the 4th of the month and due on the 1st, the following month. Is it a good idea to use the money I make and pay every couple of days after these payments clear, and work it to where I keep my util. down? Or pay through my bank account? My goal is to get into a predictable spending pattern, while at the same time not over extending myself every payday when there isn't any cash left. This is going to be all in part because I'm leaving the military in just under two years, and will be saving $1500/mo starting in July. After calculations, I'm left with about $650 per period. Looking for some guidance on this one. Thanks.
Amex PRG(NPSL), Amex BCE($5K), Amex Hilton($1K), NavCheck ($15K), NFCU CR Siggy($20K), USAA Amex($7K), USAA World MC($7K), CSP($2.3K), Chase Marriott($1.8K), Care Credit($2.5K), Cap1 QS($3.5K), VS($500), Cap1 Secure($200) Starting Scores(Jan 2013): FICO EQ: 643, TU: 552, EX: 567 Current Scores(Sept. 2016): FICO EQ: 672, TU: 703(?), EX: 682 In the Garden FOR-EV-ER!!!!! Cards and goals achieved! Let's grow and mature these babies!!!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Re: Using CC to pay monthly bills

There is no need to make multiple payments as each charge hits. Simply charge the bills to the credit card and then a few days before the statement date (so maybe the 1st) just make the payment to the card. This assumes that you set aside the money in your account that you otherwise would have sent to the creditors you paid with the credit card.

Best part is if you gather any rewards for activity on the card and pay the bill in full every month then you do not even accumulate interest. Even without rewards you are building a solid credit payment history with this issuer and setting yourself up for a good credit future. No downside whatsoever as long as you don't carry a balance and just use the credit card to up your lifestyle. Been There - Done That - Got the T-shirt (and the negative reporting)Smiley Embarassed

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 5
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

This was one of the reason I got the rewards cards.  I however am stil at the point of making multiple payments just due to low CLs.  I can now max out rewards each quarter on multiple cards with little effort.  Not that the rewards are gonna make a big financial impact, but redeeming for gift cards at a discount, when available, also makes for easy, free gifts.

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 3 of 5
myjourney
Super Contributor

You can pay every bill you have just make payments before your statement cuts to avoid making it look like your carrying high balances and enjoy the reward points

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 5
CreditJunkie917
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, after your guys replies, I'd thought about the rewards end it. My DW is all about gift cards and finding deals. So I think this will be the perfect set up for her come birthday and holiday time. Thanks for the responses guys!!
Amex PRG(NPSL), Amex BCE($5K), Amex Hilton($1K), NavCheck ($15K), NFCU CR Siggy($20K), USAA Amex($7K), USAA World MC($7K), CSP($2.3K), Chase Marriott($1.8K), Care Credit($2.5K), Cap1 QS($3.5K), VS($500), Cap1 Secure($200) Starting Scores(Jan 2013): FICO EQ: 643, TU: 552, EX: 567 Current Scores(Sept. 2016): FICO EQ: 672, TU: 703(?), EX: 682 In the Garden FOR-EV-ER!!!!! Cards and goals achieved! Let's grow and mature these babies!!!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.