Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Credit Cards for EVERYTHING?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using Credit Cards for EVERYTHING?

I have read over and over again that some of you folks use a credit card instead of cash/debit for every thing you buy, including paying your bills with a credit card. I am learning SO MUCH about credit that I never knew.  What bills are you paying with a credit card? 

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Using Credit Cards for EVERYTHING?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have read over and over again that some of you folks use a credit card instead of cash/debit for every thing you buy, including paying your bills with a credit card. I am learning SO MUCH about credit that I never knew.  What bills are you paying with a credit card? 

I have auto pay setup for my water, cable, XM radio, gas and DSL bills each month. I think that's all of the recurring expenses.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 29
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Pretty much everyone takes CCs these days, with the exception of some utlities.  I pay Gas Company, Sewer and Electric by bank account autodraft, but everything else goes thru a CC or Debit Card.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 29
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

water, cable/phone/internet, power, ADT, car insurance, umbrella insurance policy, cell phones, and kiddos' school tuition. The only check I ever write is to the trash folks because they don't take debit/credit.

Message 4 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have auto pay setup for my water, cable, XM radio, gas and DSL bills each month. I think that's all of the recurring expenses.

From a BK years ago to:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Do you still use cash or debit for anything? 

Message 5 of 29
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you still use cash or debit for anything? 

Not often but yes I use cash and my debit card from time to time.

From a BK years ago to:

Message 6 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@llecs wrote:
The only check I ever write is to the trash folks because they don't take debit/credit.

I haven't written a check in a LONG---LONG time but, I do use debit for a lot of things that I guess I should start using a credit card for. 

Message 7 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a "reason" for using credit sometimes and debit other times? 

Message 8 of 29
laz98
Senior Contributor

we use plastic for everything.  we do use our debit card to pay things, but we use it like a credit card, no pin number.  so to me it's just another credit card.  the only thing i can't pay with a credit card is the exterminator that we have come once in a while, & i could probably ask them to take a credit card over the phone, i've just never bothered to ask.

Message 9 of 29
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@llecs wrote:
The only check I ever write is to the trash folks because they don't take debit/credit.

I haven't written a check in a LONG---LONG time but, I do use debit for a lot of things that I guess I should start using a credit card for. 

There's nothing wrong with a debit card, IMO. I find a CC easier because I can never ever remember when these transactions occur. I don't want to be juggling balances on my checking acct too other than to stroke a e-check and pay the CC bill off. I also don't trust bank's billpay services. That's me I guess.

In terms of cash, I'd rather use cash for everyday purchases. I still use cash for gas, groceries, everyday purchases, meals out, etc. However, when I have cash in hand, my temptation is to spend it all. When I have $0 in my wallet, I tend to tighten my spending and I won't use my CCs because in my mind I'm broke, though I could easily hit the ATM for more.

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.