Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization Question

tag
BBforever
Established Member

Utilization Question

My GF asked me a question that I really didn't know the answer to, so I'll ask you all (the experts):

She has about 5 credit cards:

Chase Slate - $20,000 CL (12% UTL)

Macy's - $5,000 (9% UTL)

Lowes - $3,000 (0% UTL)

Sears - $5,000 (0% UTL)

JCP - $5,000 (0% UTL)

The items that show 0% utilization are literally zero utilization, meaning she hasn't used those cards In about 1-2 years.

My question is, will/could this lack of activity on these cards hurt her FICO score? She normally just uses her Slate card and Macy card throughout the year. she keeps her Slate and Macy around 8-12% utilization throughout the year.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: Utilization Question

I'm not sure that unused CCs will update reliably with the CBs, and this might occasionally cause problems with utilization, due to stale information on your report.

I'd suggest making an occcasional purchase on any CC you care about.

Message 2 of 13
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

@BBforever wrote:

My GF asked me a question that I really didn't know the answer to, so I'll ask you all (the experts):

She has about 5 credit cards:

Chase Slate - $20,000 CL (12% UTL)

Macy's - $5,000 (9% UTL)

Lowes - $3,000 (0% UTL)

Sears - $5,000 (0% UTL)

JCP - $5,000 (0% UTL)

The items that show 0% utilization are literally zero utilization, meaning she hasn't used those cards In about 1-2 years.

My question is, will/could this lack of activity on these cards hurt her FICO score? She normally just uses her Slate card and Macy card throughout the year. she keeps her Slate and Macy around 8-12% utilization throughout the year.

CRA's now track inactivity on revolving credit.  Have GF put a small recurring charge on those cc's (e.g. Netflix subscription) and she'll be fine.  PIF of course.

Any advice given is always YMMV...

Current FICOs: 740+ across the board | Goal: >760 FICO | Total CLs: $63.3k/$60k Goal | Utilization: 19% | Last App: 05/01/2014 | INQ: EX: 10, EQ: 8, TU: 5, All Expire 06/2016; No Collections/Charge Offs/BK's | AAoA: 7yrs.
| All Reports Frozen!!! | No Apps til 12/2015 | Homeowner since: 06/28/13 | White Whales: Marriott Rewards, Discover IT, Sallie Mae WMC, Sams MC
Message 3 of 13
BBforever
Established Member

Another question about utilization:

I have 5 CC's with CL's as follows:

Cap1 - $600

Quicksilver One - $1,000

Walmart - $150

Express - $250

JCrew - $250

Total = $2,250

My question is, how exactly is utilization calculated? For instance, if next month say I only charge my QuickSilver for $202.00.....Ok now, that's 9% of my over total credit limit  of all accounts combined. But, $202.00 is 20% of my QuickSilver credit card. How do the CRA's calculate? Is it calculated against overall credit limit (collectively)?

Message 4 of 13
user5387
Valued Contributor

The calculation takes into account (1) overall utilization, (2) utilization per card, and (3) percentage of cards with balances.

Message 5 of 13
BBforever
Established Member

@user5387 wrote:

The calculation takes into account (1) overall utilization, (2) utilization per card, and (3) percentage of cards with balances.

Ok, so the scenario I presented is that going to hurt my score?

Message 6 of 13
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

@BBforever wrote:

Another question about utilization:

I have 5 CC's with CL's as follows:

Cap1 - $600

Quicksilver One - $1,000

Walmart - $150

Express - $250

JCrew - $250

Total = $2,250

My question is, how exactly is utilization calculated? For instance, if next month say I only charge my QuickSilver for $202.00.....Ok now, that's 9% of my over total credit limit  of all accounts combined. But, $202.00 is 20% of my QuickSilver credit card. How do the CRA's calculate? Is it calculated against overall credit limit (collectively)?

Scoring is based on overall utilization.  Your calculations are solid.

Any advice given is always YMMV...

Current FICOs: 740+ across the board | Goal: >760 FICO | Total CLs: $63.3k/$60k Goal | Utilization: 19% | Last App: 05/01/2014 | INQ: EX: 10, EQ: 8, TU: 5, All Expire 06/2016; No Collections/Charge Offs/BK's | AAoA: 7yrs.
| All Reports Frozen!!! | No Apps til 12/2015 | Homeowner since: 06/28/13 | White Whales: Marriott Rewards, Discover IT, Sallie Mae WMC, Sams MC
Message 7 of 13
user5387
Valued Contributor

Message 8 of 13
BBforever
Established Member

@user5387 wrote:

Here is the best description that I know of:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Figuring-out-my-utilization/m-p/785481#M147161

According to this post, it looks like it is based on overall CL and utilization whether all charged on one card or spread evenly across all. Correct? So long as UTL Is around 9%, we can maximize our scores. Am I on the right track? Or is it more complex than I'm understanding it to be?

Message 9 of 13
user5387
Valued Contributor

The description talks about overall utilization, and about utilization per card, and about the number of cards with balances.

So what you do with individual cards affects utilization calculations, even if the overall utilization is low.

For example, if you need to carry a $450 balance, and have $500 and $5000 cards, put it on the second one, not the first.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.