Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization

tag
Jarnog
Frequent Contributor

Utilization

I've searched and only seemed to be able to find reference to the magical 1-9% utility to maximize scoring.

My question is does that 1-9% matter, as far as how it is distributed.

For example, DW has 11 cards 7 are at 0 balance but 4 have balances ranging from $125 - $300 dollars, maybe a little more.  Waiting for one card to report 0/6000 down from 5400/6000.  Now once that happens she will be at about 6% utility.  I know that is fine, but is that "fine" in Fico's eyes.

I always see everyone say pay all to zero then let 1 report that number. But if you get the same results using my scenario...it's the same right?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Utilization

@Jarnog wrote:

I've searched and only seemed to be able to find reference to the magical 1-9% utility to maximize scoring.

My question is does that 1-9% matter, as far as how it is distributed.

For example, DW has 11 cards 7 are at 0 balance but 4 have balances ranging from $125 - $300 dollars, maybe a little more.  Waiting for one card to report 0/6000 down from 5400/6000.  Now once that happens she will be at about 6% utility.  I know that is fine, but is that "fine" in Fico's eyes.

I always see everyone say pay all to zero then let 1 report that number. But if you get the same results using my scenario...it's the same right?

It's not the same.. The Fico scoring model does not like to see balances on a lot of cards.  Better to be on one.

Message 2 of 7
JustBPatient
Established Contributor

+1

Amex Gold =Amex ED 20k = Amex BCP 14k = Amex SPG Lux 2k = Arrival 2k = Ring 14k = BOA 321 30k = BOA BBR 10k = CSR 25k = Freedom 10k = Citi Simplicity 9k = Citi DC 5k = Citi DP 3k = DCVR IT 16k = DCVR IT(2) 10k = CAP1 QS 15k = NFCU CR24k/AE25k/CLOC 15k = BBVA 14k = Wells Plat. 5k = (2) US Bank Cash+ 13k, 18k = PenFed 17k

FICO scores TU 764 EX 739 EQ 745
Message 3 of 7
Jarnog
Frequent Contributor

Interesting.  It's good to know that.

Now in that vain, lets say in the letting a few report scenario her scores go up or are around 650-675

If she does the "optimal" way, would there be a jump? 

Now I do know that there is no real way to tell, just from experiences you guys and gals have seen Smiley Happy

And thanks for the info

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jarnog wrote:

Interesting.  It's good to know that.

Now in that vain, lets say in the letting a few report scenario her scores go up or are around 650-675

Now I do know that there is no real way to tell, just from experiences you guys and gals have seen Smiley Happy

And thanks for the info

Probably but as you said there is no way to know for sure.

Message 5 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Jarnog wrote:

You can't get the same results using a different approach.  "Let only balance report" only works one way.  It's not just the % or else the advice would exclude the number of balances.

@Jarnog wrote:

Now I do know that there is no real way to tell, just from experiences you guys and gals have seen

Sure there is -- test and monitor the effect on score.  I found that number of balances had a negligible (IMO) impact on my score.  I'm fine with my scores with multiple balances reporting.  They could be higher with fewer or just balances but it's not worth the hassle to me and I'm currently using a couple of 0% offers which take priority for me anyway.  You have to find what works for you and determine the significance of the impact to help you decide.

You really can't rely on anecdotal evidence as one's credit matters in all this.  If you want to compare experiences then you need to fully understand what you're comparing and can't just single out utilization.

Message 6 of 7
elbori357
Regular Contributor

Each credit profile is different. What I have done is to keep data allowing balances to report then PIF from 0-10 % from 1 card to 3 cards and what for is working best is allowing to report 3% on 2 cards 2% individual CL on 1 and 1% on individual CL on another for combine of 3% overall. Have been able to see a steady increase to what it is now. Hopefully will hit 800's in the next few months.. Good luck.
MyFico Pull: TU 838 EFX 841, EX 840. (14 Aug 2020) House Mortage $305k, Car Lease $60,000, AMEX ED 33,000, NFCU Signature Visa $68,000, Lowes Visa 25,000, Cap One Venture $48,000, Navcheck $15,000, Barclay WEMC Arrival+ $41,000, Cap1 Quicksilver Visa $12,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred 15k, Best Buy $19,800, . Overall Util. 2%
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.