Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VA Loan - Prime Rate?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: VA Loan - Prime Rate?

I believe also that it is lke a FHA Mortgage.  They really don't look at credit (I had a  TU 570 and I still got 6% interest 2 years ago).  It is to help secure homes with people with  moderate income.
Message 11 of 14
tbone74
Regular Contributor

I've been given the same information.  I was advised by Quicken that 620 is the score they need to get the ball rolling.  However, they would try to make an exception if all scores where above 580..and at least one was reporting 620.  I assume it's up to the particular lend to the exceptions their willing to make.  And, if you look at most mortgage calculators...the interest rates all start with a credit score of 620. 

Starting Score: TU04: 603 EQ: 613
Current Score: TU04: 667/EQ: 670/ EXP(LO Pull): 676
Goal Score: 710

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

The VA funding fee you have to pay (unless you can get it waived because you receive a disability pension) is the same as paying ponts to buy the rate down. You may still be better off going conventional with a low score if you find the right lender. FHA/VA rates are always higher than conventional.
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
The VA funding fee you have to pay (unless you can get it waived because you receive a disability pension) is the same as paying ponts to buy the rate down. You may still be better off going conventional with a low score if you find the right lender. FHA/VA rates are always higher than conventional.

VA is always better than FHA.  A 5% down payment gets a nice discount on the funding fee. A 10% down payment gets a really good discount.  No PMI with VA, thus more house for same payment.  Where you run into issues is that just because you meet VA funding requirements, does not mean you will get a bank to make the mortgage.

The 620 score seems to be a bank requirement, but it depends on the bank.  I just did mine and one bank wanted to add a 1% "penalty" because my score was under 650.  The bank I went with gave me a 1/2 % decrease with the same scores.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.