cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VA Overpayment/ VA Debt Management Dept.

tag
azguy13
Senior Contributor

VA Overpayment/ VA Debt Management Dept.

In 2009 when the Post 9/11 GI Bill (Ch. 33) was first implemented, they had such a large delay that they offered a $3,000 emergency pay to help veterans who were expecting the money in time. Long story short, they told me I owed them $3,000 and within the matter of a month or so, they took it out of my 2010 taxes and placed it on my CR as a "Payment after Charge-off/Collection." 

I have been trying to get in contact with the VA Debt Management Center to try and get them to delete it off my reports a year early but every time I call, the automated message says they are experiencing a high volume of calls then it just hangs up on me. 

Has anyone had any success getting through to VA Debt Management? I can't seem to find a direct/back door number for them. I did send them an email but at the rate it took to get my medical records awhile back, I won't hear back until about November 2016. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
JagerBombs89
Established Contributor

Re: VA Overpayment/ VA Debt Management Dept.

@azguy13 wrote:

In 2009 when the Post 9/11 GI Bill (Ch. 33) was first implemented, they had such a large delay that they offered a $3,000 emergency pay to help veterans who were expecting the money in time. Long story short, they told me I owed them $3,000 and within the matter of a month or so, they took it out of my 2010 taxes and placed it on my CR as a "Payment after Charge-off/Collection." 

I have been trying to get in contact with the VA Debt Management Center to try and get them to delete it off my reports a year early but every time I call, the automated message says they are experiencing a high volume of calls then it just hangs up on me. 

Has anyone had any success getting through to VA Debt Management? I can't seem to find a direct/back door number for them. I did send them an email but at the rate it took to get my medical records awhile back, I won't hear back until about November 2016. 

Ah, the good ole advanced payment from the VA.  I know many people that took advantage of this that weren't qualified and ended up in the same situation.  However, settings up a payment plan would have kept it off your reports.  Since you are less than a year out, I guess you might want to just wait it out.  Good luck.

Message 2 of 4
azguy13
Senior Contributor

No, I was definitely qualified for it. It was the first semester that the Chapter 33 was implemented and they had not paid anything at the time I took the advance pay. Unfortunately, I moved to Arizona just after that semester and I missed their mailings. But yes, I would have definitely set up a payment plan if I had known. The way I found out about it is when they took the $3,000 out of my tax return. Oh well, it is just another year or so. I still have pretty good scores and am curious how bad a 6 year old CO affects my score. 

I'm still going to try Debt Management though. It's more of a personal mission to just get them on the phone. 

Message 3 of 4
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Well, I finally got in touch with a rep after being on hold for 117 minutes. he said what I thought would happen; they were not able to remove a TL unless the debt occurred while deployed and I was not able to receive any letters. I figured that would happen so I am just going to try and GW regional. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.