Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valuable Information for Active Duty Military

tag
MrChairman
Established Contributor

Valuable Information for Active Duty Military

Many credit card companies will enroll you into the Servicemember's Civil Relief Act program as long as you're on active duty. By enrolling in this program they will drop your interest rate to 6% or lower, refund all interest down to the new interest rate they set you at, refund all BT fees, late fees, cash advance fees, membership fee's ect. You simply have to call your CC provider's customer service number and ask for a supervisor as the first line person will most likely have no idea what you're talking about. This is retroactive from the FIRST day you joined active duty. Here is an example below:

I joined in Nov 2005. I got a Barclay's CC in 2010. I had my interest rate dropped to 0% for as long as I'm on active duty and they will charge me NO interest and NO FEES OF ANY SORT. In addition to this, any interest paid will be refunded. So far the following card I have enrolled in this program are:

Macy's CC

Lowe's CC

Home Depot CC

Bank of America CC

Discover Card

Capital One

An additional note, this program applies to spouses as well. So if your spouse has a high interest credit card, they are eligible to enroll. The only documentation I had to send in was a copy of my current orders or LES.

Starting Score:TransUnion: 698 (12 FEB 2010), Equifax: 674 (12 FEB 2010)
Current Score (Lender Pulled):TransUnion: 684 (12 SEP 2016), Equifax: 696 (12 SEP 2016), Experian: 679 (12 SEP 2016)
Goal Score:All scores All scores at least 700+ by December 2017!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Valuable Information for Active Duty Military

I could be wrong, but I think this only applies to debt incurred prior to entering active duty.

Message 2 of 4
BigBS
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I could be wrong, but I think this only applies to debt incurred prior to entering active duty.

Some CCCs will only refund interest incurred prior to entering active duty, but AMEX and Barclays are not that way.  Citi certainl is, however.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 3 of 4
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

The law states that it is for debts incurred prior to AD, however, many CC and bank loan companies will give you the 6% anyway when you deploy.  In fact, ALL of my CC and loan companies lowered *my* interest rates when hubby deployed.......EXCEPT Capital One!  ASK anyway!

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: EQ:703 TU: 729 EX:737
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.