Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verizon Advice Please!

tag
steelers1
Frequent Contributor

Verizon Advice Please!

To make a long story as short as I can.

Been with Verizon wireless for over 10 years. During the past year or so I've been traveling to an area 2-3 days a week where Verizon service is non existant. I have to drive 2 miles away from that area to get service to check messages. I am self employed so good service is a must. Called Verizon early this spring and there was nothing they could do about it since where I live I get good service.

Fast forward to October.

I have a total of 6 lines with Verizon. Two of the lines are not under contract. Two of the lines have contracts that expire 10/25/15 and the other 2 are under contract until 4/2016.

The last bill I got with Verizon I was billed for services until 10/26/2015. My son's phone went bad on 10/18. Apple said that it needed to be replaced. I called Verizon and asked if I moved the lines if I would get an early termination fee on the 2 lines that expired in 6 days. The rep told me that my billing cycle date ended the day after the contracts expired and that I would be fine since I was already was billed for the month of October services. I was well aware that I would have the early termination fees on the other 2 lines and I was ok with that especially with the deal I was getting from AT&T.

Got the final bill today and I was charged an ETF on the two lines that expired on 10/25. The rep absolutely refused to do anything about it and said that it was their policy that when the numbers get ported out thats the day that the service ends which was on 10/19. I took notes and had the reps name that told me I could switch service on the 19th. and she didn't budge. She said that there was absolutley nothing she could do. I asked for a supervisor and she told me that I would just be wasting my time since they would tell me the same thing.

So Verizon wants $240 ($120 x 2) for a 6 day short of contract ETF and I don't think I should pay it.

Not to throw a wrench in it but when I filed BK7 in 2014 Verizon was IIB. They credited my account for the current amount I owed at the time they got the BK notice (which was around $310). They continued to provide me service and I also continued to pay. I wonder if the BK filing voided the contract I had with them. I'm not looking to screw them I just want whats fair and they are NOT being fair.

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Neverknewaboutcredit
Valued Member

Re: Verizon Advice Please!

I had a situation very close to yours and I fought them over many phone calls and in the end they sent the bill to collections and I took a hit and just ended up paying anyway. If I had it to over I would have just paid it and chalked it up as a lesson learned. Take my word for it they will send it to collection and my issue was under $100.00

dont let them get you as they did me.

WPCU visa $30K , Amex BCE 15K,Amex Hilton Surpass $9k, Cap1 Business Spark $4.5k, Sync Lowes $25K,GECU visa $5k, Cap1 QS visa $20K, Discover $20.8K Citi/Home Depot $5K, Citi/Costco visa $12K,US Bank Kroger visa 15K, US Bank Cash + $10K, Huntington Voice MC 10K, 5/3rd Real Life MC 10K
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

O.P. - I worked for Verizon Wireless in a call center 6 years ago. I can tell you that ALL calls are recorded. You do need to call back and politely escalate the call to a supervisor. You will most likely be transferred to a "lead" and not a supervisor (ask them nicely). If they tell you there's nothing that can be done, then ask them to speak to a shift supervisor and let them know the details of the original call. That's the best I can tell you from my past experience from working there.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Neverknewaboutcredit wrote:

I had a situation very close to yours and I fought them over many phone calls and in the end they sent the bill to collections and I took a hit and just ended up paying anyway. If I had it to over I would have just paid it and chalked it up as a lesson learned. Take my word for it they will send it to collection and my issue was under $100.00

dont let them get you as they did me.

While I am all about not paying a fee you rightfully feel you should not have to, in this case I agree and pay it.  I had a similar situation years ago with VZ and it wound up in collections as is my sole baddie on my reports today.  I'd pay it and move on, no need to risk you profile.

Message 4 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Failing to get a resolution with Verizon I would file a complaint with the CFPB   http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It sounds as if you have a legal/contract issue as opposed to a clear factual violation of the FCRA.

In that event, recourse would be to get resolution thru the courts rather than pursuing an admin complaint for clear violation of the CFPB.

Are you willing to pursue via civil suit?

Message 6 of 7
steelers1
Frequent Contributor

Thank you all for your advice it is very much appreciated.

However I did find out today that I am not liable for any ETF's for this contract since Verizon was included in my chapter 7 bankruptcy from 2014.

Filing the bankruptcy has the effect of terminating any “executory contract” therefore the ETF's that were part of that contract are not valid.

I will be writing a letter to their BK dept. and I will be including all the necessary docs needed to hopefully correct this.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.