Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verizon Hard Check or Soft Check??

tag
cuthatcard
Frequent Contributor

Re: Verizon Hard Check or Soft Check??

When I got ours, back 18 months ago, it was a soft.
Just added a line with no pull...as far as I can tell ..
FICO :November 2016
TU-761 EQ 756. EX - 749
No Baddies
QS1 -$2,000. Care Credit $9,600.00 CHASE Freedom $3,000.00 Discover IT $1,000.00
Inq TU 4 EQ 3 EX 2
Message 11 of 22
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not certain on the additional line but I've had three accounts with Verizon:

Verizon Internet

Verizon Wireless

Verizion Business

3 HP's, all on EQ.

Ultimately if you want the service the inquiry is trivial so I wouldn't worry about it unless you have something like a mortgage coming up in the next year and you're playing in the middle tiers like I was (and somewhat annoyed at VZ as a result).

Also just because a CSR says it's so, isn't grounds for a dispute historically... your making the application is permissible purpose and the CSR excuse is akin to the dog ate my homework unfortunately.

        
Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was a hard pull for me when I opened up my account. There was no pull in financing our new phones a year later.

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update.  ended up being an HP. not surprising.  I did tear them a new one over the phone about instore and chat reps telling me it was a soft pull.  

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Had this same experience with Verizon. Talked to 4 different reps (2 via chat, one on the phone, and one in person) who all insisted they did a soft credit pull. I saved screen shots from the chat. Now I have a hard inquiry from Verizon on my Equifax report. I called Verizon and was told there's nothing they can do. I'm so pissed. How can they just straight up lie? I will try disputing it with Equifax but I'm not holding my breath.
Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

All my Verizon activities have been HPs. Never an SP. As to the Reps ... common we all know they are either uniformed or don't really have a clue.
Message 16 of 22
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Contract ended a few months ago. What about renewing a new 2 yr contract when the phone I want comes next month. No lates.The original HP fell off. SP? Or no pull.

Message 17 of 22
Gatito
Contributor

Same experience with me they all say soft pull and they end up doing a hp. I told the store manager this is not correct she said she apologized and all their meaterial tells them its a soft pull and i told them they need to change that because its a lie and they are engaging in deceptive business practices what if I was currently in the process of buying a home your dumb "misinformation" would have cost me money over the period of a 30 year loan. I also submitted a BBB report on them the executive office contacted me I told them the same thing. She offered to close my account for me to switch with NO FEEs. I ended up getting 50 bucks for it. Eh. Still though they shouldnt do this I want to be able to make my own decision if I want this to be a hard inquiry on my credit or not. Not be lied to.

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is one reason I still use Straight Talk* (no-contract, $45.00/month or $43.73 auto-pay) as my cell provider; another reason is that, even though the major mobile providers HP your reports, they don't report your payment history/activity to the CRA's unless you've fallen behind. Seems a waste of a perfectly good HP to me.

*If you're considering Straight Talk, I'd recommend bringing your own phone or buying a new one up front - I bought a new iPhone SE 64GB in February - rather than relying on Straight Talk's pre-packaged phones, which are either older models or are less capable versions of current models.

Message 19 of 22
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

This is one reason I still use Straight Talk* (no-contract, $45.00/month or $43.73 auto-pay) as my cell provider; another reason is that, even though the major mobile providers HP your reports, they don't report your payment history/activity to the CRA's unless you've fallen behind. Seems a waste of a perfectly good HP to me.

*If you're considering Straight Talk, I'd recommend bringing your own phone or buying a new one up front - I bought a new iPhone SE 64GB in February - rather than relying on Straight Talk's pre-packaged phones, which are either older models or are less capable versions of current models.

Interestingly enough, they used to report as a tradeline back circa 2000... then for some reason that all stopped at once.  I don't recall the reasoning for it other than it was stated as not being an actual credit account or who complained necessarily.

        
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.