Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verizon policy on inquiries

tag
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Verizon policy on inquiries

DW plans on getting an iPhone. Does anyone know Verizon's exact policy on pulling inquiries. Are they automatically hard? Is it Experian more often than not? Do they pull for stuff like address change? If someone has the actual Verizon policy, that'd be wonderful.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Verizon policy on inquiries

I'm currently fighting an unauthorized hard pull on my CR from Verizon. Showed up on my TU & EX.I'm in northern CA.

Three different sales reps assured me that it was only going to be a soft pull. (I went in to comparison-shop and see what kind of deposit I would need if I were to hypothetically get an iPhone--wasn't planning on actually signing up that day, if at all.) All three employees promised me, without a doubt, that it would be a soft pull.I should have gotten it in writing, as I didn't sign anything and didn't open a contract that day.

Lo and behold--a week later, two hard INQs on my CRs.

As I've been spending a lot of time on the phone with Verizon trying to get this removed, I get the sense that everyone in the company has a different idea of what kind of inquiries they make. And sales reps will do anything to get you closer to signing a contract, so don't ask them. 

2 out of the three folks I've talked to in their recovery department (who are sick of hearing from me by now) say that all Verizon inquiries are always hard, FOR-EV-ER.

Wish I'd been reading these boards before I went in there. Grr.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reps usually don't know. That's with anything like that. It's just hearsay and passed down from other reps and middle management. If you are asked for your SSN, I usually assume it will be a hard. If you are worried, you can freeze your reports. If they try to pull hard, they won't be able to.

I know in my line of work, if my system asks for SSN, it's a hard. It usually a soft if the system doesn't ask for SSN. That's from experience and not just the word passed down.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Reps usually don't know. That's with anything like that. It's just hearsay and passed down from other reps and middle management. If you are asked for your SSN, I usually assume it will be a hard. If you are worried, you can freeze your reports. If they try to pull hard, they won't be able to.

Stanggt03 -- if you freeze your reports, won't they deny you service/info on deposits if they can't access your CRs?

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If they pull hard and you're frozen, they'll either ask for a hefty deposit or deny you service. Of course, they could ask you to lift the hold. But if you're trying to avoid a HP, freezing is a good way to do it. You won't get a straight answer on hard or soft from a rep, simply because thy don't truly know. So the only way to be sure they don't HP is a freeze.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
... So the only way to be sure they don't HP is a freeze.

Thanks. What's the best way/service to use for freezing/unfreezing all three CRAs? Or is it something you have to do indivually with each bureau?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.