Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verizon wireless and other collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Verizon wireless and other collections

I'm a newbie and I'm working to make my credit good!! Why does it seem like I could have used this information in 1997 when I was a freshman in college and being offered a shiny new mastercard!!

I'm wondering if anyone has some advice/input about the following:

I have a verizon wireless account that was opened in 2002 - it was paid in Sept 2003, but on my reports it is showing as an "account" with a $0 balance, but it says charged off bad debt.  Does this mean they do not have my payment on record?  Also, because it was so long ago, how does the newer cell phone regulations affect this account?  Has anyone had any luck with gw letters with verizon?

I also have two collection accounts, should I send gw letters to the CA or the actual company?

I feel like I'm on that commercial where the guy looks at his credit report and drives off in a blue beat up car!! Smiley Happy

Thanks all - I've been reading your posts and I can't wait to learn what you all have learned!!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Verizon wireless and other collections

alikat425 wrote:
I'm a newbie and I'm working to make my credit good!! Why does it seem like I could have used this information in 1997 when I was a freshman in college and being offered a shiny new mastercard!!

I'm wondering if anyone has some advice/input about the following:

I have a verizon wireless account that was opened in 2002 - it was paid in Sept 2003, but on my reports it is showing as an "account" with a $0 balance, but it says charged off bad debt.  Does this mean they do not have my payment on record?  Also, because it was so long ago, how does the newer cell phone regulations affect this account?  Has anyone had any luck with gw letters with verizon?

I also have two collection accounts, should I send gw letters to the CA or the actual company?

I feel like I'm on that commercial where the guy looks at his credit report and drives off in a blue beat up car!! Smiley Happy

Thanks all - I've been reading your posts and I can't wait to learn what you all have learned!!

Hi alikat425    welcome to the forum!     The Verizon debt is past federal SOL.....they can't sue you & win!

If it shows charged off/bad debe  with a Bal $0     usually means that it was sold to a CA

You really need everything in writting BUT.....I would call Verizon and see what they say.....tell them that you paid all your bills & just found that on you CR........you need to know if they sold the account.

IF they own it  you can send a PFD to them!!!   If they sold it then you need to DV the CA  CMRRR

Now for other collections  your state SOL is in play.

( also have two collection accounts, should I send gw letters to the CA or the actual company?)

GW goes to whoever you paid.

They really do need to start courses on how to handle credit.....and they should start in high school and continue in collage
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!! What a detailed response!!

The problem is, the verizon account was already paid in Sept of 2003 - so is a PFD sort of not applicable? Is there another way to handle it?

I guess I'm gonna write some gw's!
Message 3 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Verizon Wireless is a toughy. I have yet to get them accept a PFD. Whatever happens with your GW, let us know how everything turns out.

Message Edited by llecs on 03-26-2008 07:11 AM
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.