Established Member
JuliaPR

Victim Of ID Theft

Relatives of mine opened up credit using my info and placed me as a co-signer without my knowledge or authorization, and of course the debt was never paid ($7,000+). When a leasing office ran a check, I freaked out. They opened credit in 1999! I knew who it was right off the bat because their home addresses were on my report, so I guess they put me as living with them. I never lived with them and never will.  I placed a fraud alert with all bureaus, and I'm also sending the creditors an ID theft affdavit via certified mail. I gave them the names and current address of the relatives, let them get into trouble I don't care, they should have not done what they did. This has been nothing but a nightmare, a huge fight, and spent lots of money trying to have my name cleared and its still not over.
Regular Contributor
Neblett

Re: Victim Of ID Theft

This is more than fraud - it's forgery, because you have to have actually signed SOMETHING to be included as a co-signer.
Moderator Emeritus
Tuscani

Yep.. you need to contact the local authorities.
Frequent Contributor
HouseHunter

I agree.  I'd prosecute, family or not.  No one has the right to destroy your credit.  Other relatives might want to check their reports as well.  If they did this to you, they could have done it to others also.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+