Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Victim Of ID Theft

tag
JuliaPR
Established Member

Victim Of ID Theft

Relatives of mine opened up credit using my info and placed me as a co-signer without my knowledge or authorization, and of course the debt was never paid ($7,000+). When a leasing office ran a check, I freaked out. They opened credit in 1999! I knew who it was right off the bat because their home addresses were on my report, so I guess they put me as living with them. I never lived with them and never will.  I placed a fraud alert with all bureaus, and I'm also sending the creditors an ID theft affdavit via certified mail. I gave them the names and current address of the relatives, let them get into trouble I don't care, they should have not done what they did. This has been nothing but a nightmare, a huge fight, and spent lots of money trying to have my name cleared and its still not over.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Neblett
Regular Contributor

Re: Victim Of ID Theft

This is more than fraud - it's forgery, because you have to have actually signed SOMETHING to be included as a co-signer.
Message 2 of 4
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Yep.. you need to contact the local authorities.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree.  I'd prosecute, family or not.  No one has the right to destroy your credit.  Other relatives might want to check their reports as well.  If they did this to you, they could have done it to others also.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.