Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Victim of ID theft, need help.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Victim of ID theft, need help.

I recently became aware of the ability to see my credit reports for free, and discovered 7 negative accounts on my credit that don't belong to me.

I've talked to a few of the companies and they aren't really wanting to help, because the address on the accounts IS my mailing address, but somehow these theives must of had the cards forwarded to their own address.

I'm also getting collection notices in the mail now because these people not only stole my info and obtained cards, but charged hundreds and never made a payment.

So now I need to figure out if it's best to get ahold of the company that issued these accounts, or the debt collectors themselves.

Since so much time has passed (over 8 months) since these accounts were furnished, I have a bad feeling I'm going to have trouble getting them off my report.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Victim of ID theft, need help.

Look at the top of this General Credit Topics forum for the sticky post "Victim of Identity Theft ?..."  highlighted in green.

There is a whole section explaining in detail how to use the identity theft process under the FCRA,

Message 2 of 5
willwar14
Valued Contributor

1.) File a police report.

2.) Go through the ID theft process, the ID theft is pretty recent so it should be easier vs. a few years.

3.) IME Experian and Transunion are the easiest to deal with when it comes to this, Equifax IME will just treat it as a dispute and not a block request.

4.) Deal with the original creditor directly, since its pretty recent.

If you have any other questions please feel free to message me, I helped both my parents go through this process (still going through it with EQ) so I know a bit about it.

edit: Forgot to say, good luck! its not fun, but thats life :/.

CH7 FILED: 08/18/2022, DC: 01/23/2023
Message 3 of 5
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Sorry for your struggles. If you follow the recommendations of the poster's above, hopefully you will be able to begin to get this fixed. Best of luck and please update when you can.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

Look at the top of this General Credit Topics forum for the sticky post "Victim of Identity Theft ?..."  highlighted in green.

Don't overlook the stickies.  They're stickies because the information is commonly requested and useful.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.