cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WARNING! ATTENTION TRUECREDIT USERS! FRAUD!

tag
Jacque383
Regular Contributor

Re: WARNING! ATTENTION TRUECREDIT USERS! FRAUD!

I just called and they refunded me the $2.49....He said that going through the walmart site if you click on other types of services they will charge you...

Anyway, mine is all taken care of...took 1/2 hour on the phone for $2.49, but I guess it adds up over a 12 month period...lol
Message 11 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you go to update your report you first get directed to a screen offering you a $25 coupon, THAT IS ATHOMEREWARDS! This is hardly fraud, just click on the button that says no thanks instead and you won't be signing up for any of these gimmicks.
Message 12 of 27
Jacque383
Regular Contributor

It seems everyone is always offering other services now-a-days...I've accidentally signed up for stuff before without realizing it.

Anyway, I was wondering what athomerewards was (I'm always looking for deals on home decor...)...

This is what came up.....seems to be something that others have been complaining about...

Message 13 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

db23 wrote:
When you go to update your report you first get directed to a screen offering you a $25 coupon, THAT IS ATHOMEREWARDS! This is hardly fraud, just click on the button that says no thanks instead and you won't be signing up for any of these gimmicks.

So click the wrong button and TU sends your name and CC info to a third party. Certainly smacks of deceptive practices.

Message 14 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So click the wrong button and TU sends your name and CC info to a third party. Certainly smacks of deceptive practices.

Deceptive practices? ABSOLUTELY I will agree with that. But they likely got all of their overpaid lawyers in a room and had them devise a plan to make it as deceptive as possible without actually being fraud...

Just another reason to use Privacy Matters or Chase IP instead of going directly through TC. CS from AMEX is better than all of them anyway IMHO.
Message 15 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

If anyone gets stung on something like this, I would suggest contacting the FBI's Internet fraud department. Wish I had the link handy, but it wasn't that hard to find with Google when I used it a couple years ago.

Long story short, some co-workers and myself were buying identical items from an ebay seller (all on one order, mine). The cost was $10 per person and the total was $50.  Never got the items, only had a bit of contact before she stop talking.

Ebay was no help, so i went looking for help elsewhere. Found the FBI Internet fraud link and filed a report.  It must have been a year later, a representative from the San Diego prosecuters office contacted me for more information. Another year later, they contacted me again asking where a restitution check could be sent.  We got all our money back, which I returned to everyone else even though they weren't worrying about it.  I wasn't worried about the money as much as it ticked me off that this slimeball thought she could pull a stunt like this and get away with it. Turns out she had hit a few people, and some for decent amounts.  The best thing that came out of the whole thing is a letter from the prosecutors office. It was several pages long and detailed her sentencing. I still have that letter, and reading it reminds me that there is some justice out there.
Message 16 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

db23 wrote:

Deceptive practices? ABSOLUTELY I will agree with that. But they likely got all of their overpaid lawyers in a room and had them devise a plan to make it as deceptive as possible without actually being fraud...

In some states, deceptive practices can run afoul of the law.

Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

KevKaos wrote:
If anyone gets stung on something like this, I would suggest contacting the FBI's Internet fraud department. Wish I had the link handy, but it wasn't that hard to find with Google when I used it a couple years ago.

Excellent idea! Thanks. Trained investigators with guns climbing in their backside.

Message 18 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for letting us know - I was charged the $13.70 via Walmart website the first month, and last month it was the right amount - I'll let it go so long as it doesn't show up again - I don't feel like waiting 20 to 30 min for $2.49 (even though money is money I know).
Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.