cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHO do you trust for a real credit score? My Fico and 2 other companies I used on the same day...

tag
Norman

WHO do you trust for a real credit score? My Fico and 2 other companies I used on the same day...

MyFico I paid the 59.95 for all three credit compaines. Then I to one them and pull are 3 again and not even close to the same score.

Went on to a nother conpany that will pull your credit and same thing. Not one of them came close to matching scores. All of them had most part

the same other information but this score thing appears to be bull.

Does anyone even why the big changes from one company to the next? All thre companies I used are well know credit companies.

In 2012 I did the same thing but went each of big 3 credit companies and got the same thing the only change was today I used cedit companies

like myfico and paid for each one to pull all 3. Something wrong with this picture. One thing if they were some what close but this tells me

this credit score thing is a little over rated of what it is.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: WHO do you trust for a real credit score? My Fico and 2 other companies I used on the same day..

Define "real".  Creditors generally don't use FAKO's but even FICO has a number of different scoring models that creditors use.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Difference-in-Scores/td-p/2384297

I suggest not obsessing over the specific numbers.  Focus on the data in your reports.  Scores are generated based on report data so good reports will lead to good scores.  There's no way you can guarantee that the score you're looking at is what a given creditor will use unless there's some info posted.  Even so, you don't necessarily have access to the scoring model used by a creditor depending on the model.

@Norman wrote:

Does anyone even why the big changes from one company to the next? All thre companies I used are well know credit companies.

If the scores didn't come from FICO then they're FAKO's and those are also entirely different scoring models.  Differences in scores can be due to:

• Different scoring model used
  • Different CRA used
  • Different data due to different dates that the score was generated

The scores aren't "bull".  If all three points above are the same then the score generated will be the same.  If any of them differ then there can be differences.  Combine factors and the differences can be even larger.  Always make sure you're comparing apples to apples when making any comparison (not just with scores).

Additionally, looking at a single score for a single point in time isn't all that useful IMO.  Monitor the trends with a given scoring model.

Message 2 of 7
Norman

Re: WHO do you trust for a real credit score? My Fico and 2 other companies I used on the same day..

And all you can when applying for anything thing is our credit score was... that all they look at.

Please the whole thing is about the credit score but not one company to the next has the same thing.

So again the feelingthat one knows (give or take 10-30 points) you could go out and want to use that score.

But what I reviewed today was 30-90 different. Your answer is well more of the same.  

Message 3 of 7
user5387
Valued Contributor

The reason why the scores vary is that different formulas are being applied to the data on the credit report.

An operational definition of "real credit score" would be a score used to make lending decisions, vs. a score that is intended more for educational purposes.

Message 4 of 7
Norman

Eductional? are you kidding? I need this to be schooled? I tought it was so I knew what to expect before aplying for credit.

So again getting a credit score is meaning less. You have no ideas what the real one is that being used. Thanks schooloing me on this being nothing more than a payment for not much use.

Message 5 of 7
Involver
Valued Contributor

The scores here are legitimate FICO scores that lenders use.

The scores you buy from CA websites are not, unless you buy a FICO from Equifax.

If you do your homework before apping then you can get a pretty good idea which score that particular lender will use.

Also scores are only part of the picture. The actual info in the report is far more meaningful.
Message 6 of 7
Involver
Valued Contributor

CRA*.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.