cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIll an old collection account dropping increase my credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

WIll an old collection account dropping increase my credit score?

Here's the situation... my brother stole my information to open up a cell phone in my name years back. He was going through troubled times so I didn't press charges however, the phone company still wanted their money of course. The total came to over $1500 and I started paying it but due to my own personal issues I couldn't afford to continue paying. When I told them what happened in hopes to work out a later payment arrangement they basically told me that since I had paid on it already it was my debt and they didn't believe my story. I said oh well and left it alone. It's not scheduled to fall off in August. My question is, once it's 7 years old... old enough to fall off, will it even impace my score at all or just make my report look better?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: WIll an old collection account dropping increase my credit score?

Is this your only negative item on your credit reports ?  Or are there other items ?   The FICO impact of the collection dropping will vary based on what your report looks like without it.....

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have one other collections account which is scheduled to fall off in 2014 but I'm hoping to pay it before than.

Message 3 of 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

If that's the case then I don't think you'll get a huge FICO gain, although you may get a some points back..... YMMV.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok thanks!!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.