Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WTH....AFNI collections trying to collect on debt from 1994...OC can't verify

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

WTH....AFNI collections trying to collect on debt from 1994...OC can't verify

Help!  I think I just got scammed.  My husband and I settled a debt with AFNI for an account with OC Nextell in December.  Today we received a notice in the mail about another debt with Alltell.  This account doesn't show on his credit report and Alltell has no record of anything being turned over to collections.  This is the ONLY and current account we have with Alltell

We called AFNI.  They said the debt was from 1994 and they purchased it in 2003.   When I asked why they were trying to collect on the account that is wellllll passed the SOL they said there was no SOL (lie 1).  They then said they would be happy to DV since Alltell can't.  According to them Alltell purged their system of the debt once it was purchased by AFNI.  They also said they could begin active collection on the debt.  When I asked why we weren't informed of this debt in December when we paid off the other one, there was no answer.  The agent stated that if we paid the settlement of 75% this debt wouldn't be reaged on my husband's credit.  We'll see...  what do you think?  Should I call BBB?  We are in the process of buying a house and can't have this hit his credit.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
musikklvr
Frequent Contributor

Re: WTH....AFNI collections trying to collect on debt from 1994...OC can't verify

Oh my goodness. I just received a letter from AFNI for some Bell South Mobility crap I don't even know about. It's not on my credit report either. The want $35 dollars. This was on my credit report well over 7 years ago and I didn't know what it was then. I'm not calling them though.

I'm trying to buy a house, too and don't want them to put this crap on my credit report. I'm going to send a DV letter.

Starting Score: 668
Current Score: 712
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: WTH....AFNI collections trying to collect on debt from 1994...OC can't verify

Forget about SOL, it is past CRTP! They can't report. Ignore their calls. They can't do anything, legally anyway.
Message 3 of 5
CrimsonFury

I just had AFNI report on my credit an old debt labeled with a new date. It was first listed on Equifax, then finally removed. This past week it showed up under the orther two agencies as a recent reporting. How long do collection reports stay on your credit? I thought it was 3 years and that was the age of the old one. It sounds as if AFNI is playing dirty.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CrimsonFury wrote:
I just had AFNI report on my credit an old debt labeled with a new date. It was first listed on Equifax, then finally removed. This past week it showed up under the orther two agencies as a recent reporting. How long do collection reports stay on your credit? I thought it was 3 years and that was the age of the old one. It sounds as if AFNI is playing dirty.

7 - 7.5 years from the Date of First Delinquency (DOFD) which would typically be the first time you missed a payment on an account and NEVER got caught up again.

What's your DOFD?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.