Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WWUDo!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

WWUDo!!

I recently negotiated a settlement for a outdated collection account, although we agreed on the amount the collection rep appeared reluctant to the offer, although we settled on the amount. Although they where trying to get me to put a large amount of my offer down and then set-up payment arrangements in which I was quick to dismiss. Now, they want me to make the full payment to them which I would not have a problem doing but the agency rep declares it's not in there policy to send a letter via e-mail or fax stating the agreement. I am reluctant to make the payment without first having a letter head from the company with the written agreement signed by a manager. The rep gave me a spill about the policy and etc. But something didn't make sense because I've settled two other collections and both times I had a letter faxed and e-mailed signed by a mgr. Is this type of practice common, where you just send money without any documentation in hand first. Thanks Boss Hogg
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
John060675
Valued Contributor

Re: WWUDo!!

First, never, never, never, never, never (you get the idea) speak to the CA on the telephone.

Second, always, always (again, you get the idea) have any agreement in writing.

I know it is hard to believe, but CA's have been known not to keep their word.  IMO, you have leverage.  I would send a PFD letter to them and state in the letter that any further communications must be in writing.

If they try to call you, then do not let them get their name out before you say "I will only deal with you in writing, please send a letter stating your purpose" and then hang up.

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

And if you are able to ascertain if the OC owns this debt ( and is having CA collect on their behalf) do everything you can to settle the debt with the OC instead of CA.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree 100% SC! Deal with the OC, not the CA. The CA is just trying to get you to cough up money.....nothing else. (not sending a letter/email....ridiculous!)
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.