Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wage Garnishment, Please Help!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wage Garnishment, Please Help!!!

Wage Garnishment, PLease help!!
I have just had a wage garnishment of $2700 on an old (10 years) credit card debt of $1084. I had a default judgement against me in 2004 and the SOL is either 7 or 10 years ( I'm not sure which, I live in Washington state). Is the garnishment also going to go on my CR as it is a writ against my company to pay? Also, is there any silver lining here? Can I have it (the judgement or the garnishment if it comes up) removed, vacated or showed payed once The garnishment is settled? It looks like judgements can be renewed in this state. It looks like it can Never come off!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wage Garnishment, Please Help!!!

yaripup wrote:
Wage Garnishment, PLease help!!
I have just had a wage garnishment of $2700 on an old (10 years) credit card debt of $1084. I had a default judgement against me in 2004 and the SOL is either 7 or 10 years ( I'm not sure which, I live in Washington state). Is the garnishment also going to go on my CR as it is a writ against my company to pay? Also, is there any silver lining here? Can I have it (the judgement or the garnishment if it comes up) removed, vacated or showed payed once The garnishment is settled? It looks like judgements can be renewed in this state. It looks like it can Never come off!

If it were me I would contact an attorney.

The SOL on CC is 6 years...they must get a judgment within those years. A judgment is good for 10 years.

I do not know about Wa. garnishments  sorry.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.
I may get an attorney but I'm not sure I can afford one.
Message 3 of 6
moonman
Frequent Contributor

if it's one thing about jugdments.....please answer them because you have a fighting chance but default you give up any chance.there should be attorneys there that offer free council for you. Written contracts and accounts receivable: 6 years, (RCW 4.16.040). Oral contract: 3 years (RCW 4.16.080). Recovery of property and judgments: 10 years, (RCW 4.16.020 for washinton
Message 4 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

yaripup, if there is a law school anywhere within 200 miles, ask if they have free or reduced cost legal aid for situations like this. You can also try your local legal society --many firms do pro bono work. Good luck!

PS --But I agree, do not miss any dates! Sometimes the other party doesn't show up, and you do, and that can help you out. But if you avoid going... Smiley Sad
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was the judgement for $1084 or more?  Are they collecting more than the judgement was for?  In your state are they allowed to collect interest on judgemnets?  Get those answers and it may clear up your ?'s.  My impression is that judgements are near impossible to get rid of.   If judgement was in 2004, you are stuck with it till 2014.  The DOFD has no impact on a judgement

Message Edited by jerdrake on 12-09-2007 10:16 AM
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.