cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Credit Card Users: FREE Fico Scores are available!

tag
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: Walmart Credit Card Users: FREE Fico Scores are available!

@Anonymous wrote:

@smallfry wrote:

Curious business model FICO has. I never opted to get the free EQ from DCU. However I now get free EX from PSECU and some form of TU free as long as that lasts from Walmart/GEMB. You can get a discounted EQ from EQ itself for 11 bucks now. Why would FICO think anyone would want to pay 15 bucks for a score let alone 20. I have no idea why they would think raising their price is a good idea. 

I'm guessing they must charge the banking/credit card institutions for the scores and make more from that than from the individual consumers buying scores due to sheer volume.

So what do you think Walmart is paying for the TU score? I maintain they would make more money charging the public much less for a package deal. 

Message 81 of 204
Scuba
Frequent Contributor

Did I read the Walmart site correcty, the interest rate on their Visa and Discover card is 22.9%?

That can't be right.  Maybe a gas card or Macys store card but not a Visa.  Gimmie a break.

Message 82 of 204
Anonymous
Not applicable

@smallfry wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@smallfry wrote:

Curious business model FICO has. I never opted to get the free EQ from DCU. However I now get free EX from PSECU and some form of TU free as long as that lasts from Walmart/GEMB. You can get a discounted EQ from EQ itself for 11 bucks now. Why would FICO think anyone would want to pay 15 bucks for a score let alone 20. I have no idea why they would think raising their price is a good idea. 

I'm guessing they must charge the banking/credit card institutions for the scores and make more from that than from the individual consumers buying scores due to sheer volume.

So what do you think Walmart is paying for the TU score? I maintain they would make more money charging the public much less for a package deal. 

I should have said I suspect Fair Isaac corporation generates more ”business-to-business  revenue” than “myFICO business-to-consumer services revenue.”

Their myFICO is service is but one part of Fair Isaac, and not the biggest revenue generator. Their myFICO service "provide[s] solutions based on our analytics to consumers, sold directly by us or through distribution partners."

Skimming their annual report from 2010, Applications is their largest source of revenue. It states, "We develop industry-tailored Decision Management applications, categorized as Applications, which apply analytics, data management and Decision Management software to specific business challenges and
processes. These include credit offer prescreening, insurance claims management and others." Applications comprised 61% of revenues for fiscal year 2010 (page 35 of the annual report). From the same page, "Scores," which includes business-to-business and business-to-consumer revenue, comprises 28% of revenues for fiscal year 2010.

On page 11, "The FICO Scores are calculated based on proprietary scoring models. The scores produced by these models are available through each of the three major credit reporting agencies in the United States: TransUnion, Experian and Equifax. Users [I take this to mean lenders] generally pay the credit reporting agencies
scoring fees based on usage, and the credit reporting agencies share these fees with us."

I don't know what financial arrangements there are between Fair Isaac, TU, and Walmart/GEMB, but since FICO scores are based on a proprietary model, someone somewhere is paying Fair Isaac for them. Or they are trying to maintain market share in the competitve environment where the credit bureaus are trying to market their own credit scores to lenders and consumers.

I don't mean to thread-jack. And these are my speculative thoughts. But reading through the annual report is revealing.

Message 83 of 204
Scuba
Frequent Contributor

bump

Message 84 of 204
Barry
Administrator Emeritus

@RockinRay wrote:

I agree with Lynette.

Once Barry provides the validity of the score, then would be the time to apply.

Barry? Any updates you can share?

Thanks!

Ray

Sorry for the delay.  Still working on it.  Thanks for your patience! Smiley Wink

-Barry

Message 85 of 204
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Appreciate it Barry!
Message 86 of 204
john398
Senior Contributor

@Scuba wrote:

Did I read the Walmart site correcty, the interest rate on their Visa and Discover card is 22.9%?

That can't be right.  Maybe a gas card or Macys store card but not a Visa.  Gimmie a break.

Yep that is pretty high, gues it pays to PIF
Message 87 of 204
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Thanks Barry!

Ray

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 88 of 204
kal9988
Regular Contributor

Is this a credit card or a card that's only good at walmart stores? When applying for this card, which reports do they pull?

Message 89 of 204
Guava
Established Contributor

@kal9988 wrote:

Is this a credit card or a card that's only good at walmart stores? When applying for this card, which reports do they pull?

There are 2 versions of them: the Walmart CC and Walmart Discover CC, the latter can be used anywhere for 1% cash back. 

They pulled TU for me here in Los Angeles.

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 90 of 204
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.