Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart/Synchrony Double Hard Pull

tag
joxnard805
Established Member

Walmart/Synchrony Double Hard Pull

Hello,

I had applied for the walmart card and was denied, then i called in a few days later to reconsider and i was approved. When i called in the 2nd time i was never told they were going to do another hard pull on me, and now my TU dropped 39 pts. I am thinking about calling wal-mart CC customer service tomorrow to see if they can fix this issue, since i believe it had to be a soft pull at least, since they had recently done a hard pull on me.

Any advise of what else should i say or do incase they kick me to the curb? Also if the inquiry was to be removed will my score go back up?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Walmart/Synchrony Double Hard Pull

I suggest treating it as a request for their goodwill recoding as a soft pull rather than an assertion of wrongdoing on their part.

You requested a recon, which clearly granted permissible purpose for a new inquiry.

Things could have changed in your credit report/score since their last pull. 

It was a proper inquiry, and you need their good will......

Message 2 of 7
joxnard805
Established Member

Robert,

I never authorized the hard pull though. The person never asked me if it was ok to do a hard pull, and he mentioned the reason i was declined was because i had mispelled my name on the application and wanted to confirm it was me, so after i agreed on the spelling of my name i was approved.

Message 3 of 7
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Unfortunately they are aloowed to HP any or all credit reports when asking for credit. Capital One will do all three HPs for most of their cards. Walmart was allowed to do the second pull without your permission. You have a possibility of having the second HP removed. But in my opinion unlikely. 

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've never heard of a score dropping 39 points for a couple HP's. That's a new one for me. 

Message 5 of 7
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

Walmart double pulled me also. When you ask for Recon it is another hard pull, or if you are borderline, they also double pull. That is the price you pay to get unsecured credit sometimes.

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The FCRA is structured specifically to avoid the need for specific consumer authorization for certain types of inquiries.

Section 604 defines situations where a party has permissible purpose to obtain a consumer credit report without any need for specific consumer authoritzation.

Otherwise, credit and business transaction considerations would come to a crawl.

Any consumer-initiated request for credit or insurance provides permissible purpose for obtaining the consumer's credit report.

Specific permission is required only if the purpose of the inquiry is not listed under section 604.

The FCRA places no one-pull restriction per each permissible purpose. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.