Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want advice - how to do it right

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Want advice - how to do it right

All,

I've been lurking for a while, and have learned a lot here - thanks for all the help!

I'm working to help my partner fix her credit.  She had some major personal disasters 4 years ago, was unable to work for 6 months, and a lot of things went unpaid.  She moved, mail was forwarded to her brother, who was a flake and threw out a lot of it, and a lot of things got lost in the confusion. 

At this point, her credit reports show:
- Credit cards - charged off, closed
- Merchant Credit Accounts - charged off, closed
- Collections Accounts for above - active
- Cell phone accounts unpaid
- Utility Accounts unpaid.
Most of these are likely valid.  Many of the Collections Accounts show recent dates, as the debt has been sold and re-sold multiple times.

We have also been served with lawsuits several times, although we paid them before they went to court.  Thus, no judgements.

Thus far, we have been paying CA's when we can, sometimes settling, although not with PFD's.  (I now know better!)

We are now in a better position, and want to pay off all valid debts.  But when we do so, we want to make sure that her credit report gets improved as much as possible.  From all my reading, I have come to the following plan - I would welcome any and all suggestions on how to do it better.

1) Satisfy all Collections Accounts
- Work with OC's whenever possible.
- Use PFD's whenever possible, especially with CA's

2) Once paid, try and get all removed from report.
- Use DV to ensure accuracy

Questions
1) If we get a CA to agree to a PFD, what can we do with the OC? 
2) Is there anything we can do with CA's that we already paid?  Or are we out of luck?
3) Anything else that we should be keeping in mind

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Want advice - how to do it right

What is her SOL?

Always try & work it out with the OC if you can.    When a CO is reported by the OC   hurts big time and continue to hurt until it drops  score point  30-60      a CA doesn't hurt that much.

Federal law  cell phone   SOL 2 years......if the OC is reporting....dispute it      If just the CA is reporting DV them  CMRRR

any collection   do not pay unless they will PFD    they will be more likley to accept PFD if past SOL.

If you pay they do NOT have to delete!!!!

Always DV a CA  before thinking of a PFD!    make them prove that it is hers!

If you paid anyone  CA or OC without PFD   try a GW    but they do not need to delete
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the input.

I need to check on SOL.  Most were incurred in California; we now reside in Washington.  I'm guessing worst case is 7.5 years, which means we are ~ half way there.  That said, we'd rather resolve than wait.

Would you recommend approaching all OC's first?  If they have hired a CA, I can see them being able to pull it back (if they choose to), but if they sold it is there anything to be done?  Have people had any reasonable response from GW to OC's that sold the debt?

Thanks again for the input!
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well Wa  SOL is 3 years on CC   usually utilities are the same    Ca is 4 years across the board.

Always try to pay the OC..........If you haven,t disputed do that first  only for the OCs.........if they come back verified......then send the OC  the OC letter CMRRR

Let the CAs hang awhile

When the OC  answers  you can then offer a PFD

Don't be in a hurry    take your time  then there is less chance of a mistake!

Is the OC sold to a CA  then you must deal with them........I would not pay anyone without a PFD  especially if past SOL
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.