cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to pay off debt, where to start?

tag
saam826

Want to pay off debt, where to start?

Ok so I started by pulling all three of my reports and I have nine total in collections. One has been paid off and is still on my report, will that drop off or just say paid? Also the rest are medical how do pay these off and how will I be sure they will come off all three reports?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Want to pay off debt, where to start?

It will just be listed as a paid collection, you will need to try the GW route.  The others, I'd try for a PFD first.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Want to pay off debt, where to start?

+1

Status of a reported collection as paid or still reporting a balance under collection has zero to do with the exclusion date of the collection from your credit report.

Payment does not negate the fact that they had authorized collection authoriby on the debt.

Exclusion of a collection from your credit report due to its age is based ONLY on the DOFD on the OC account that created the debt.  The collection can no longer show in your credit report once 7 years plus 180 days has passed from that DOFD.

You can attempt, as part of negotiation on payment of the debt, to obtain the debt collector's agreement to delete their reporting once paid.

Their acceptance of such a PFD offer is totally discretionary on their part.  Since the CRAs stipulate in their credit reporing agreements with all furnishers that delteion should not be reported based on payment of a debt, acceptance of PFD offers can often be difficult to obtain. 

All you can do is try. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.