Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was this a smart move? (AMEX woes)

tag
OntheHorizon
Valued Member

Was this a smart move? (AMEX woes)

Ok, so earlier in the week I discovered AMEX had reduced me, and of course I was highly upset.  Bothered me all day, so when I got home I logged onto here to vent and did some reading.  Decided to google their CEO to get an address and try to write a letter, instead I stumbled upon an article claiming AMEX voted as highest in cust. satisfaction.  Angered me even more, so I decided to send an e-mail to the addresses that were on the article.  Here it is:

Regarding this article (http://home3.americanexpress.com/corp/pc/2008/jd_power.asp ) I have to strongly, strongly disagree.  As an average person and a cardholder for almost a year, I do not rank AMEX highest in customer satisfaction, and I can name at least 10 other people who would agree with me.  In these unstable financial times that we live in, it seems AMEX is in the business (or practice) of decreasing members credit lines.  And these just aren’t any type of members; some of these people would be considered “prime” cardholders with high limits and excellent credit scores, not to mention having great paying relationships with AMEX and a long history.  While others are those who aren’t so high on the totem pole, yet they pay ALL of their bills on time just the same, and never go over their limit.  And with all this, their credit lines have been slashed, for no real reason.  Take myself for example; I’ve had my card for almost a year.  Never went over my limit, and always pay more than the minimum due, I used my card responsibly, and yet, when I pay my card to a zero balance, all of a sudden I’m decreased.  With no notice and no letter, no nothing.  It seems very funny to me that while I’m paying you I’m good enough to hold my credit line, but once I hit a zero balance, I’m decreased.  Luckily for me I had no plans for using the card or I would have been in for quite a surprise.  I am a good customer, as are the 10 other people (at least) who have also been treated in this same manner.  It is unfair, uncalled for, unjust, and should be illegal for your company to do this.  I have 10 credit cards of which 2 have balances, which are less than 40% of the balance.  Not that it even matters, but just for the record I too pay all my bills on time, and currently owe AMEX nothing on my credit card, and didn’t owe them anything when my balance was decreased.  I understand the times we live in and you are a company and have to make your money somewhere, however, it should not come at the expense of good, problem-free customers.  Had I known your company would not treat me with any respect and decency, I would not have applied and spent my money elsewhere. I must add that I will be writing to my congressman to express my deepest concern at your company’s practices, as well as the Attorney General and the Better Business Bureau.  It is only my dearest hope that you will stop these unfair practices, and not penalize the lot for the problems of the few.  I’d like to have my credit line back. 

Sincerely

XXXXXX  XXXXXX

Dissatisfied Customer…..

Question:  Did I make a bad situation worse?  I did get a call from them today, but I was too busy at work and couldn't speak with him.  He told me to call him back in the AM and I certainly will, said he worked in the "President's" office; certainly curious as to what he has to say.  I'll post an update once I speak w/him for those that are interested.  But what do you think of the e-mail?  (special shout out to Timothy and the others who have been CLD for getting me started on this in the first place)

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Was this a smart move? (AMEX woes)

I think it was a good idea. Honestly though, I'd make a point to not take them up on any offers they give you unless it's complete restoration of your initial CL.  If they try to buy your happiness with half of it, or waiving a fee or something like that, tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine. They need to know that the customers that they screwed over aren't going to take their crap. I say, "Give me all my credit line back, or keep your card." Until people start playing hardball back with them, they aren't going to care.
Message 2 of 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Are you sure nothing else is going on except for the < 40% util on two of your cards?
Message 3 of 7
OntheHorizon
Valued Member

Update: Was this a smart move? (AMEX woes)

I am positive.  I have truecredit and check all the time.  FUSED:  take a look and you tell me, where am I going wrong?

11 cards total
1.  0/3500 (navy fed)
2.  851/3500  (navy fed)
3.  1532/3200  (military star)
4.  0/1100  (hooters)
5.  258/1000 (credit union VISA)
6.  0/700 (creditone)
7.  0/500 (target)
8.  0/500 (AMEX  grrr) --was 0/1000 at the time they CLD
9.  0/350 (VS)
10.  0/250 (dillards)
11. 0/250 (spiegel)

Installments
12.  HSBC Auto 16800
13.  Persona Loan 1500

No lates in 2 yrs; all collections (2) are paid off (2 yrs ago).  So you tell me, where is the "risk".  I was already "recovered" from my black marks by the time I applied. (or so I thought)

UPDATE:  I finally got in contact with the rep and we spoke for about 30 minutes.  Basically he said it's because of the credit crunch and the mortgage crisis that is making them proactive; he spoke of risk factors and spoke of my scores being so low.  (634-641-643) Well I countered that my scores are higher now than they were when approved 8 mos ago, and questioned why I never received any notice.  "Well ma'am the letter was mailed yesterday, so you should be receiving that shortly."  I replied, "According to your CSR I was reduced on 8/31, so luckily for me I wasn't going to use that card or I would have been quite embarrassed now wouldn't I?" to which he had no real answer.  He stated that he saw I had excellent payment history with them, and that I my debt-to-income was relatively low, and that was working in my favor, blah blah blah.  He also told me it was better to PIF, to which I replied well no need to worry about that, I just won't use this card except to purchase a Red Bull every now and then until I get my initial credit line back.  I said thank you for calling me back but this card is now useless to me, I'll use my other cards.  And that was it.  Oh well, at least Navy Fed cares about their customers......
Message 4 of 7
treski
Frequent Contributor

I agree about Navy Fed ... my brother uses them and glows about them.  I use Military Star and it's my BEST card!  I love it!

Good luck with Amex.  They used to have such a good rep, it's a shame they're doing this to so many people.  I won't be shopping for an Amex card anytime soon.

Thanks for the post!
NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa $25k, USAA MC $3.5k, USAA Amex $3.5k
Message 5 of 7
silly34
Regular Contributor

American Express
Customer Relations
777 American Express Way
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33337

July 10, 2008

Re: Customer Service and Credit Limit Decrease

To Whom It May Concern:

I logged in to AmericanExpress.com on July 10, 2008, to pay my bill and noticed my credit limit had been decreased from $8,000 to $7,200. I promptly called your Customer Service number, and was connected to Account Services, only to be disconnected within a few minutes. I called back and spoke with someone who informed me my credit limit had been decreased due to a review of my Experian credit report showing high revolving balances and too many inquiries. I explained to the representative that I recently bought a house, hence the inquiries, and that my balances have been close to the same throughout my time with American Express. I also stated that I have always paid my bill on time, paid more than the minimum payment, and had done quite a bit of business on this account in the last year or so. I asked that my limit be restored to $8,000. The representative claimed they could not reverse the decision, so I asked to speak with a supervisor. I was transferred to Darrell McClennon (ID #NACNG04) and explained the situation and how I wanted the problem resolved. He informed me that he was also unable to reverse the decision, and I asked to speak with his supervisor, or someone who would be able to resolve this problem. He then told me he was the highest supervisor I could speak with, and gave me his information and this address. He was very nonchalant in his demeanor, and did not seem to want to help. When I inquired about canceling my account, he was more than happy to assist me in that venture (though I did not pursue it at this time). I would hope American Express would like to keep customers instead of losing them, but Mr. McClennon presented the opposite attitude.

I am intensely angered at this situation. I have, to date, received absolutely no notification of my credit limit having changed. This decrease has effectively maxed this card, rendering it useless and damaging my credit score. Had I decided to purchase something tomorrow on this card, it would have pushed my balance over the limit, undoubtedly triggering fees from American Express for exceeding my (new, lower) limit. This is simply unacceptable.

I was told American Express only deals with Experian for their credit reports, which I find a very distressing business practice. I have studied my reports extensively over the past 12 months, and have found the only way to get a true picture of my credit was to look at all 3 reports concurrently. That American Express does not do this is asinine, not to mention haphazard.

If you were to look at my history with American Express, you would find a great deal of business. I have made many purchases, and many large payments. Even when not making large payments, I have always paid on time and always more than the minimum due. From my interaction with American Express thus far, this seems to make no difference and I find that appalling.

By decreasing my credit limit, American Express has hurt my credit. I have worked long hours to build up my credit, make those extra payments, and buy a home. My credit score, when factored from all three credit bureaus, falls in the 700s. For all of that to be tossed aside shakes my trust in American Express.

All that I ask is that my credit limit is restored to $8,000. I look forward to your reply, as well as a prompt resolution to this problem.

Sincerely,

silly34

Message Edited by silly34 on 09-07-2008 10:18 AM

Edited to remove member's name. --hauling

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 09-07-2008 07:22 AM
Message 6 of 7
wmarat
Valued Contributor

silly34 wrote:
American Express
Customer Relations
777 American Express Way
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33337

July 10, 2008

Re: Customer Service and Credit Limit Decrease

To Whom It May Concern:

I logged in to AmericanExpress.com on July 10, 2008, to pay my bill and noticed my credit limit had been decreased from $8,000 to $7,200. I promptly called your Customer Service number, and was connected to Account Services, only to be disconnected within a few minutes. I called back and spoke with someone who informed me my credit limit had been decreased due to a review of my Experian credit report showing high revolving balances and too many inquiries. I explained to the representative that I recently bought a house, hence the inquiries, and that my balances have been close to the same throughout my time with American Express. I also stated that I have always paid my bill on time, paid more than the minimum payment, and had done quite a bit of business on this account in the last year or so. I asked that my limit be restored to $8,000. The representative claimed they could not reverse the decision, so I asked to speak with a supervisor. I was transferred to Darrell McClennon (ID #NACNG04) and explained the situation and how I wanted the problem resolved. He informed me that he was also unable to reverse the decision, and I asked to speak with his supervisor, or someone who would be able to resolve this problem. He then told me he was the highest supervisor I could speak with, and gave me his information and this address. He was very nonchalant in his demeanor, and did not seem to want to help. When I inquired about canceling my account, he was more than happy to assist me in that venture (though I did not pursue it at this time). I would hope American Express would like to keep customers instead of losing them, but Mr. McClennon presented the opposite attitude.

I am intensely angered at this situation. I have, to date, received absolutely no notification of my credit limit having changed. This decrease has effectively maxed this card, rendering it useless and damaging my credit score. Had I decided to purchase something tomorrow on this card, it would have pushed my balance over the limit, undoubtedly triggering fees from American Express for exceeding my (new, lower) limit. This is simply unacceptable.

I was told American Express only deals with Experian for their credit reports, which I find a very distressing business practice. I have studied my reports extensively over the past 12 months, and have found the only way to get a true picture of my credit was to look at all 3 reports concurrently. That American Express does not do this is asinine, not to mention haphazard.

If you were to look at my history with American Express, you would find a great deal of business. I have made many purchases, and many large payments. Even when not making large payments, I have always paid on time and always more than the minimum due. From my interaction with American Express thus far, this seems to make no difference and I find that appalling.

By decreasing my credit limit, American Express has hurt my credit. I have worked long hours to build up my credit, make those extra payments, and buy a home. My credit score, when factored from all three credit bureaus, falls in the 700s. For all of that to be tossed aside shakes my trust in American Express.

All that I ask is that my credit limit is restored to $8,000. I look forward to your reply, as well as a prompt resolution to this problem.

Sincerely,

silly34

Message Edited by silly34 on 09-07-2008 10:18 AM

Edited to remove member's name. --hauling

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 09-07-2008 07:22 AM

Good luck of course, but you do realize that they won't restore your credit line, just ask CLI x3 of your current CL in 6 months.
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.