Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Watch out for Comcast

tag
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

Watch out for Comcast

I moved to a new town and was almost able to avoid multiple inquiries on my credit for the move. I rented from a landlord who didn't do credit checks, the utility company did a soft pull and I didn't have to get a new phone. I was almost going to make it home free until I tried to sign up for internet and cable through comcast. Their website boldly claims that they do a soft pull. I tried to sign up online but due to the poor quality of internet I was stealing, I called and signed up over the phone. The rep told me it was a soft pull even before I asked and I gave her permission to do the check.

The very next day, I get a SW alert saying I had a new inquiry from Comcast. I called customer service and spoke to the supervisor to no avail. Apparently nobody can fix the miscoded inquiry. I was a little angry but got over it. I only wish they hadn't pulled Equifax, which literally has like 11 inquiries currently while the other two have less than 4. I have a few falling off before the house hunt begins so I'll take one for the team but I wanted to let everybody else know. Beware of Comcast!!!

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
chasmith
Valued Contributor

Re: Watch out for Comcast

I finally got completely rid of Comcast, but that's another story.

If you really want to fight it force your way to "Executive Complaints" (yes, such a group exists but it may take a third level manager to get you in contact) or use the "send a message to Germano" feature on their website.  Before starting, print out the statement from the website, it's clearly false advertising.

If you have proof of the promise to soft pull, you can also file with the Franchise Authority (usually paid off by Comcast to do nothing but worth a shot), FCC, state Attorney General or other state consumer fraud authority, and BBB.

If you have a while and don't want to put in the effort and endure the aggravation, remember that while your score gets you in the door for a mortgage, underwriting may actually look at things and they know the difference between an inquiry that could lead to more debt, and an inquiry because you moved.  One inquiry by itself may make little or no difference - well is does as you go from 0 to 1 or 1 to 2 but then they are banded, something like 3-5, 6-9, over 10.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@aussiesareforever wrote:

I moved to a new town and was almost able to avoid multiple inquiries on my credit for the move. I rented from a landlord who didn't do credit checks, the utility company did a soft pull and I didn't have to get a new phone. I was almost going to make it home free until I tried to sign up for internet and cable through comcast. Their website boldly claims that they do a soft pull. I tried to sign up online but due to the poor quality of internet I was stealing, I called and signed up over the phone. The rep told me it was a soft pull even before I asked and I gave her permission to do the check.

The very next day, I get a SW alert saying I had a new inquiry from Comcast. I called customer service and spoke to the supervisor to no avail. Apparently nobody can fix the miscoded inquiry. I was a little angry but got over it. I only wish they hadn't pulled Equifax, which literally has like 11 inquiries currently while the other two have less than 4. I have a few falling off before the house hunt begins so I'll take one for the team but I wanted to let everybody else know. Beware of Comcast!!!

In Comcast's Customer Agreement for Residential Services section 2 part h clearly states the following:

"Our Right to Make Credit Inquiries. YOU AUTHORIZE COMCAST TO MAKE INQUIRIES AND TO RECEIVE INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR CREDIT EXPERIENCE FROM OTHERS, TO ENTER THIS INFORMATION IN YOUR FILE, AND TO DISCLOSE THIS INFORMATION CONCERNING YOU TO APPROPRIATE THIRD PARTIES FOR REASONABLE BUSINESS PURPOSES."

Sorry, but it appears you're out of luck.

Message 3 of 7
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

+1  The fine print will get you everytime.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 7
mtrsprt
Frequent Contributor

It's one inquiry.  You decided you needed to watch to TV.  Move on, and don't sweat the small things.

Starting Score: 521 TU, 597 EQ, 574 EX on 6/20/2011
Current Score: 753 TU, 764 EQ, 766 EX on 02/17/2014
Goal Score: 720-740 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 7
ACsteel
Frequent Contributor

Comcast I've heard from many others have a tendency towards not having great business practices.

Message 6 of 7
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

I'm not worried about the inquiry. Just wanted to warn anybody else wanting to sign up for TV and thinking it would be a soft pull.

I'm too lazy to look since it involves putting in an address and attempting to sign up for their services but it clearly said it was a soft pull on the website. Just before you submit the form thingy. False advertising if I may so so myself. I've been slightly less than impressed with Comcast's customer service but sadly I had no other options.

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.