Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Weird Credit Card Hacking!

N. Detroit Avenue

Message 11 of 17
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I'd suggest changing account numbers on any other cards you might have.

You might also think about fraud alerts or freezes on your credit reports. If you change account numbers, fraud alerts would likely be sufficient. They would force new lenders to verify your identity before opening accounts.

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

lol good ol N Detroit Ave... I used to do repossessions in and around Detroit avenue, and I have to tell ya the people who live there are generally several kinds of wonderful. If the address is south of Central Ave, its likely to be less "sophisticated" If its north of it then it could be much more "sophisticated" the difference being in how the information was gathered to begin with. North of central you have many shady businesses that cater to these types of crimes. Even the scrap yards on Detroit are in on it. As an interesting side note. N Detroit is US 24 and runs up to Detroit through Dearborn HTS / Dearborn...

From Central to Fearing on N Detroit is pure ghetto. My favorite intersections are "Detroit and Lock your doors avenue" followed by Detroit and dont break down hear blvd" The closer to fearing you get the worse it is. Highest Crime rate/ murder rate are. definitely not some place to roll up on and say "Hey there mister, you stole my identity!" However it is unlikely you will be able to tell. Have you done any business in the Toledo area?

Thinking about it, I would also be highly concerned that they put bank accounts in your name and may have other credit cards as well. I do not know how you would go about checking into that. Or if you now have a criminal record in Toledo.. Some of the DMV's and title agencies are loose, do you have cars you dont own registered to you in Toledo as well? It could be really big or just this one thing. Be diligent in finding out. Toledo is a well dressed pig that really is just a small time Detroit in a lot of ways. I wish you the best and hope you keep this thread updated so we can follow and know that you got this worked out completely.

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wait, did they make a payment from your existing account or did they add a new one? Reading your post again that struck me as odd in either case, unless they had online only access to someone's account & added your credit card as a new bill payment in order to maximize the avail credit to run up before burning the card - but that's one hell of a lot of effort for a $400 card.
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right!  They paid $386, which left a balance of $25.  So, they didn't pay in full.  At first, I figured that Credit One had probably applied someone else's payment to my account by mistake.  But, they changed all the account information.  What really concerned me was that in order for me to change that information, I had to enter my full SS#, credit card #, exp date and 3 digit code off the back.  So, how were they able to make all those changes???

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

By purchasing a portfolio of your personal information made possible by data leaks across countless companies. It sucks & is scary but at least now you're aware of the threat.

Most people have no idea just how complete a set of info about them is available & for sale - my friends & family always think I'm overreacting when I tell them about it until I run a quick search for them & come back with all the info you listed & more. Equifax might be the latest & greatest breach but events of this magnitude have been happening quietly for decades. I just tell people to assume a full set of your identifying information is being actively sold & be as proactive as possible.

If you're really interested into the *how* of things, check out KrebsOnSecurity - blog by Brian Krebs with tons of detailed info on breaches, how black markets work & fraud in general.
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would have kept the account open until they pay the remaining $25.
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.