Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Question Regarding SSN Identity Questions being inaccurate

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Weird Question Regarding SSN Identity Questions being inaccurate

Hi all,

As subject says, I have an oddball question regarding who I would contact about possibly looking into the security questions that come up when confirming my identify that I believe are incorrect.

Background on this, I called up Penfed this morning to get my user name for online access.  I've had an account with them for close to 10 years but forgot all about it until I read some good things on this forum about them.  When I called the first time, I was able to answer the questions no problem that were pulled up to confirm my identify off my name and SSN.

I had to call back though as they had sent out a security code through snail mail and it occurred to me after I got off the phone that they would be sending it to where I lived 10 years ago.  When I did call back I had to go back through the verification process to update my account address and I had failed the verification as the people they were asking me if I knew people I did not.  Could be my dad's side I am not close at all with though. I brushed that off as just that and we were able to get me verified on info in my account.

I then wanted to pull my annual copies of my credit report to see what they had.  I was okay on Experian and Equifax, however I failed on Transunion and the question  they asked me I was sure about, it wasnt some distant relative that I may or may not have had.

Question is, is that something I should look into with Transunion?  Or who?  I've never thought much of it and I don't think it's really related, but there's someone out there that I think shares my name as he keeps giving my gmail address on things(I once got a notification from Mercedes Benz dealer that the car repairs were completed and 'my' car was ready for pickup.  Looked legit and was paid in full so wasn't clearly a phishing technique for a credit card number).  Worst case scenario is maybe I'm getting mixed up with him.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Weird Question Regarding SSN Identity Questions being inaccurate

These verification questions are probably related to LexisNexis Accurint Individual Access Program.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Weird Question Regarding SSN Identity Questions being inaccurate

If you have concerns about how your inquries with annualcreditreport.com are being processed, I would contact the FTC.

The annualcreditreport.com site is the only web site that is authorized by the federal government as a means for the big-3 CRAs to provide the annual, free copy of their credit report to consumers under the requirment of the FCRA.

It is implemented as a joint venture of EQ, EX, and TU, and accepted by the FTC as an approved method of meeting the free annual report requriment added to the FCRA.

I would make inquiry with the consumer compliance branch of the FTC regarding any administrative issues with implementation of the site.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.