cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Request

tag
Frustrated

Weird Request

First of all, I just want to say thank you to everyone for all the great advice! It has helped me out so much in the last few months. 

Here is my situation...I have 6 collections that I paid off about 2 years ago that I would like to get removed from my credit report.  They are all from the same company so I called the company today and was told that they would only do "courtesy deletions" if it was for mortgage purposes. They want the loan/mortgage company to send them a letter requesting these be deleted for the purpose of obtaining a mortgage loan. Well since I just bought a house last month I can't really apply for a new home loan to have this taken care of (wish I would have looked into this a few months ago).  So here's the question... Is there any loan officers or mortgage brokers who will "pretend" to give me a loan so I can have these taken off? I would just need a letter (that I will even type up) on company letterhead and for the person to vouch for me if the collection company verified with a phone call. I may be out of line by asking this but I just thought I would give it a shot. 

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Weird Request

Frustrated wrote:
So here's the question... Is there any loan officers or mortgage brokers who will "pretend" to give me a loan so I can have these taken off? I would just need a letter (that I will even type up) on company letterhead and for the person to vouch for me if the collection company verified with a phone call.

Welcome!

Ah .... no. That would be what they call "fraud."  No lender is gonna go to jail for you.

Ask the lender if they will give you a better rate on a refi if you get the collections removed.  I doubt the cost of doing a refi so soon after the original mortgage would be worthwhile, but who knows.

Try sending a GW letter despite what they told you.  Good luck!
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe in the GW letter, state that you are getting ready to buy a home and want to have your credit cleaned up before you start the pre-approval process??
Message 3 of 6
Frustrated

Would that really be fraud even if I am just acting like I am applying for a loan and not really taking one out.  I guess I just wanted to get around calling someone locally and have them pre-approve me for a loan since I just took out a home loan 2 months ago.

Would it even be worth it to have these collections removed since they are 2 years old?

Message 4 of 6
sl
Established Contributor

Yes, that is considered to be fraud.  You are producing a false document and wanting someone to sign it. 

I think your best bet is a goodwill letter and take it from there.

I am a tax accountant and I will not sign a tax return if I cannot validate the numbers, therefore, I would never sign a document I know to be fake.

Message Edited by sl on 08-14-2007 12:07 PM

Message Edited by sl on 08-14-2007 12:08 PM

Message Edited by sl on 08-14-2007 12:08 PM
Message 5 of 6
Frustrated

Ok thanks..I will try that and see if it works.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.