cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird situation. Should I dispute or not?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Weird situation. Should I dispute or not?

Hi all! I have an issue, on my credit report, I've been debating about for the past few months, and recently found this forum, so please give me some advice. Back in the fall I had an item put into collections and I paid it off. The collection account never appeared on any of the three bureau's reports, but the collection agency put four inquieries on my TU. Two were soft inquiries so that doesn't bother me,  but the other two were hard inquiries and that's what I don't understand. Any time that they accessed my report, shouldn't it had only been soft inquiries, being that I never gave them permission, in any way, to run a credit check on me? 

I know that inquiries can only be disputed in possible fraud cases, but I think that I have a valid argument here. Since inquiries can't be disputed online, I've thought of calling TU about this, but I feel that if I do that it could possibly do more harm than good and this is where I need advice. What I'm afraid of happening is if TU investigates and the collection agency adds the collection account to my report. Is that possible? Can they go back and add something after its done and over with? If so, I guess it would just be better to keep my mouth shut and just wait two years for the inquiries to drop off, as they definitely don't hurt me as much as a collection account, on an otherwise clean report, would. Should I risk getting them removed or is it just not worth it?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Weird situation. Should I dispute or not?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all! I have an issue, on my credit report, I've been debating about for the past few months, and recently found this forum, so please give me some advice. Back in the fall I had an item put into collections and I paid it off. The collection account never appeared on any of the three bureau's reports, but the collection agency put four inquiries on my TU. Two were soft inquiries so that doesn't bother me,  but the other two were hard inquiries and that's what I don't understand. Any time that they accessed my report, shouldn't it had only been soft inquiries, being that I never gave them permission, in any way, to run a credit check on me? 

I know that inquiries can only be disputed in possible fraud cases, but I think that I have a valid argument here. Since inquiries can't be disputed online, I've thought of calling TU about this, but I feel that if I do that it could possibly do more harm than good and this is where I need advice. What I'm afraid of happening is if TU investigates and the collection agency adds the collection account to my report. Is that possible? Can they go back and add something after its done and over with? If so, I guess it would just be better to keep my mouth shut and just wait two years for the inquiries to drop off, as they definitely don't hurt me as much as a collection account, on an otherwise clean report, would. Should I risk getting them removed or is it just not worth it?

I would leave it alone.   The inquiries will only affect your FICO score for 1 year, and given that there are only 2 hard inquiries it is likely not a huge ding to your FICO score.    You are fortunate that the CA didn't report the collection ~ that would result in a huge hit to your FICO score.   

Unfortunately CAs have permissible purpose to pull your credit, either hard pulls or soft pulls.   It's strange that they pulled it 4 times, but I would just advise that you leave it alone and in a few more months the inquiries won't affect your score anymore, and you won't run the risk of the CA deciding to add the collection to your reports.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

Debt collectors have permissible pupose under FCRA 604(a)(3)(A), so the inquiries were justified.  The FCRA places no limitation upon the number or frequency of inquiries. 

Message 3 of 6
traveler2005
Established Contributor

why are they allowed to do an inquiry when the account that they are trying to collect for is way past the SOL. I think this is just punishment. I think they ought change the rules a bit and only be able to pull a CR on debt that is legally collectable. Pulling one report after another artifically suppresses our scores, not allowing us to climb out of the bad credit hole.

Starting Score: TU 573 Exp 523 Lender Pull, Eq 583
Current Score: TU 673, Exp 664.,Eq 672 04/17/2015 TU 741 Equifax 682 Experian 678

Goal Score: 700 across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Last HP 6/10/2015
Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Debts that are outside of SOL are still subject to efforts to collect.  Expiration of SOL does not negate the debt..... it means that your legal obligation to pay has expired, and thus they cannot obtain a legal judgment for payment.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the responses, everybody! Since CAs can get away with doing as many hard pulls as they want, I'm glad I decided to ask questions before calling TU. It would've sucked if in trying to gain probably only several points, by having the inquiries removed, I ended up losing a very significant amount, if they put the collection on the report. Guess I better just be thankful that, for whatever reason, the collection, itself, was never posted. Still don't get why they would continously pull my credit after I was already making payments (automatically out of my checking on a set date so never late) to them, though. Oh well...

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.