Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well I screwed up....

tag
silly34
Regular Contributor

Well I screwed up....

I have an account with Citi Financial for a Rooms to Go purchase. It was a promo offer for 3 years no interest/no payments. I paid a good portion of it down but not all and the promo expired so the APR went to 24.99%. I called to try and lower it but was unable so I balance transfered it to another account for 3.99% till it was paid off (3%, fee based on amount transfered $2000).

Here is where I screwed up. I had already balanced transfered a large amount to the same account for 2.99% in the amount of $10,000. What I hadn't realized when I had done the transfer for the $2,000 was all of the payments I make will go to the lower APR first until it is paid. In the mean time that $2,000 is going to be accruing 3.99% of interest until the $10k is paid.

Once this error was realized I called them up and asked to have the $2k moved to another promo that was 0% APR for 6 months (I can have it paid off by then). She came back and said I would know in 5-7 days if they would/could move it. Kinda odd but we will see. In any case if they don't I think I can just BT the whole $12k and then BT it back after a month. Granted I will incur fee's but only $400 ($199 max both ways) worth which is better than racking up 3.99% over several years.

The game continues...

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Well I screwed up....

Without trying to be critical-

Start paying this stuff off- just moving thousands of dollars of debt around is just costing you money.  You need to start tracking your effective APR's.
Message 2 of 6
silly34
Regular Contributor

I thought that was the point of my moving away from a 24.99% APR? Was I not clear on my intentions? I was tired of paying for a year now $60 payment while only $20 was going to principal. I don't make much money so I am having to make the system work for me (when I can). B.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

$400 ($199 max fee twice) covers 4 and a half years of 3.99% interest on $2,000. I say don't bother, it's not worth the transfer fee or the hassle.

And the difference between 2.99% and 3.99% on $2,000 over 4 years is less than a hundred bucks. Why not concentrate on paying it down? 3.99% for life is an excellent rate for unsecured debt.
Message 4 of 6
silly34
Regular Contributor

Oh I thought it was waaay more than that (was led to believe). Then no sweat :0) If they do move it over the 0% 6mo. that would be good too since I have to have it paid in 6mo. (light a larger fire under my arse).

Thanks!
Message 5 of 6
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Timothy wrote:
Without trying to be critical-

Start paying this stuff off- just moving thousands of dollars of debt around is just costing you money.  You need to start tracking your effective APR's.

Very good advice.
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.