Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welp! One day late on my Well's Fargo Personal Line of Credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welp! One day late on my Well's Fargo Personal Line of Credit

I'm a long time checking and savings account holder.  I got a personal line of credit around December or January.  Have never been late with them.  I was reviewing all of my credit accounts, and noticed that I was a day late (I had what I thought was a minimum amount paid - $25).  It turns out it was $36 due yesterday (June 19th).  As soon as I realized my error, I paid $100 immediately (so now, I've paid $125).  I have a good history with Well's Fargo.  My credit is decent to good (EQ: 656, TU: 713, EQ: 692).   Will this affect my credit and how?  I can't believe I overlooked this payment. I'm usually very diligent about my credit, and check my accounts daily.  

What are my chances that this will not show up on my credit?  I'm planning on going to the bank tomorrow to speak with a banker, but I definitely won't be sleeping tonight.  I've worked so hard to build my credit.

Thanks for any feedback you all may have.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Welp! One day late on my Well's Fargo Personal Line of Credit

Unless you're 30 days or more late on your payment,  your credit is fine.  I would put that on autopay!  I have all of mine on it.  Too risky.  Waiting for my new Venture, J.Crew & Overstock to put a date on theirs so I can set up autopay.  I have 2 accounts with WF, but no cc yet.  I think it will just have an impact for 6 months with them.  I do a double check on the weekends to be sure there's nothing out there.  Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Unless you're 30 days or more late on your payment,  your credit is fine.  I would put that on autopay!  I have all of mine on it.  Too risky.  Waiting for my new Venture, J.Crew & Overstock to put a date on theirs so I can set up autopay.  I have 2 accounts with WF, but no cc yet.  I think it will just have an impact for 6 months with them.  I do a double check on the weekends to be sure there's nothing out there.  Smiley Wink

Thank you for your response.  Can you clarify what you mean by "impact for 6 months?"  Does this mean my credit will be affected, but only for 6 months?

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for your response.  Can you clarify what you mean by "impact for 6 months?"  Does this mean my credit will be affected, but only for 6 months?

No, no, no.  Just your relationship with WF.  As in they won't give you a cli, etc.  No biggie.  Just sucks. (how you feel)  Sorry for that.  

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No, no, no.  Just your relationship with WF.  As in they won't give you a cli, etc.  No biggie.  Just sucks. (how you feel)  Sorry for that.  

Thank you for making me feel better.  And yes, I did set up autopay immediately.  I tend to stay away from that because I don't want to get lazy thinking that autopay will go through.  I really like to get my hands dirty, so to speak.  It forces me to engage and focus on my credit. Of course, the downside is this happening.  I've set up the autopay for the minimum and will pay extra on top of that.  As involved as I am with my credit, I can't believe I overlooked this one.  Yikes!

Message 5 of 18
budwiser
Contributor

I would call them up and speak to a rep. Explain your situation about paying but didn't realize it was $36.00. You gave $25.00. If they charge you a late fee that is all that will happen. I would ask them very nicely to revese the charge. Tell them about your history with them or your other creditors. That it was only a mistake.Its not like you ignored the payment you just overlooked it and thought it was $25. Most banks will give you a one time reversal.

Try it, worst case scenario is they say no.

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.  I plan on going tomorrow morning and speaking with someone in person.  Hopefully, they'll have mercy.

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could get a Mint account, and it'll track everything for you. You can set it to remind you via email a few days before each bill is due. Even though you activated autopay, it'll still help to remind you before your autopayment is made. It'll also track the balances of all your bank accounts/credit cards etc which is very handy, especially since everything is shown together in one place.

Since you were only a day late, you may not get any late fee, and if you do, I'm sure they'll reverse it given your description here.

Message 8 of 18
cem13
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you.  I plan on going tomorrow morning and speaking with someone in person.  Hopefully, they'll have mercy.

This will NOT be reported as late.  There is no such thing as "One Day Late".  The minimum is 30 days late.  So they will not report 30 days late until your next statement cuts and you did not pay yet.

This happens to me 3 times per year.  I travel a lot for work.  I, like you, do not autopay.  I dont trust the system; never have, never will.  Typically when I geet back from the road, I double check my accounts.  I will typically forget one account.  I just call them, make the payment over the phone plus the dreaded "Late Fee" (typically $35~$50).

It is good that you are cautious about paying but you appear to be overly worried about it.  I am sorry you are feeling this way but this is all for naught.  Call them on Monday, expain your situation, and maybe they will waive the late payment. 

Many times they will waive the late fee if you have a good excuse.  One such as "I just forgot" will not be acceptable.  That is your responsibility to remember.  However, If you tell them "My cat ran away and I was worried, but she came back" as long as it is truthful; they may have pity on you and waive the late fee.

Good luck

FICO 08 JUL23: TU 850; EQ 846; EX 843. Clean since BK7 D/C 6/2011.
Message 9 of 18
taxi818
Super Contributor

As others stated. Your score should be fine. You are not 30 days late.  But it will affect your internal score with Wells Fargo. And they may charge late fee. Who knows if they will or not give you clis. But time their trust will return. Good luck. 

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.