Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What I really think

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What I really think

Jumping up on my soap box and gonna vent -

I think Myfico, Credit Karma, quizzle, experian, equifax, transunion, freecredit report and all these other sites are bogus..nothing but a bunch of scammers, never understood how something could be different across the board on CR, Scores range anywhere from - to + 50 points from various sites...

Dont these people get the information from the same spot?

Scam, its a system designed just to keep the good ole working class down so we have to beg from the big ol company to-do us a favor..

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: What I really think

I understand your frustration.  We all go through it when we are new to learning about credit scores.

Are you familiar with algorithms?  If you are, you will know that the math formula weighs different things differently looking at the same data.  This is why a Google search might well return different first page results than a Yahoo search or a Bing search.  The data is the same but the model is different.

You will save yourself a lot of frustration if you absolutely ignore any score that does not say "FICO."  These are the real scores used by lenders.  Now there are multiple versions of FICO based on the year the score was introduced and whether it is being used for auto loans or credit cards or mortgages.

FICO scores make low cost borrowing possible.  Without them, the cost of analyzing individual credit profiles would be prohibitive and your loan rates would be much higher.  FICO also eliminates racial and gender bias as well as bias based on your economic situation (rich, middle class or poor).

It is important to realize that FICO was not designed to help you.  It was designed to help 90% of lenders make quick approval decisions based on a proven mathematical model.  Is it always correct?  Absolutely not.  But on average it will be correct over a wide swath of consumers.  So someone with an 850 score could in fact file for bankruptcy and someone with a 475 FICO score could pay off a large loan perfectly, but on average, FICO will correctly predict the result.

Once you learn to understand FICO -- and there are only five major categories to learn about.

Do you want to be approved for credit?

1.  Always pay your bills on time.  One 30 day late payment can cost you 100 points.

2.  Keep your utilization of revolving credit low -- somewhere between 1% and 10% of available credit.  Try to get high credit limits so if you spend a

few thousand dollars on your cards your score won't take for high utilizatioon.  Have at least 6 to 12 months' gross income as revolving limits.

3.  Have a good mix of credit, based on what you can get.  So 3 to 5 (or more) credit cards, an installment loan and a mortgage loan if you can get    

one.

4  Allow your accounts to age.  Keep them open.  Only add one or two new accounts each year if you see some you want.  Do not close the rest.

5. Don't apply for accounts that will cause more than 2 inquiries per year on each credit bureau.  Look up on Credit Pulls who pulls which CB.

6. Go out and enjoy life, spending what you can afford, paying off your accounts each month (with a small amount reporting on one card)

I know lots of people with scores between 800 and 850.  Not one of them EVER thinks about their credit score.  This is because they automatically do these things.  It's just the way they live.

If you want to mess up your scores, get late payments, collections, public records; run up balances on your credit cards and don't pay them off each month.  Once you have established 5 or so good accounts for the long term, don't open more cards unless there is some special reason (like 100,000 mileage points or to save 20% on a $50,000 purchase).

Credit scores can literally drive you crazy.  If you don't like looking at them, just do the things stated above.  Then once or twice a year pull your REAL FICO scores from this website (or another if it gives REAL FICO scores) and review them.  Your scores should be increasing every time you pull new reports every 6 to 12 months.

Message 2 of 5
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

They are just options to be able to see different types of scores from different scoring models.

Your post almost seems like you wrote it this way on purpose?

Some of what you list are scoring model/forum, scoring model sites to get a free scores,your yearly free credit report (no score with that)?

trolling?

*edit*
forgot to add, they are different because they are different scoring models being used.  If you are looking at 2 of the same scoring models and they are both different, one was probably pulled at a different time so it has a different score.

Message 3 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think Myfico, Credit Karma, quizzle, experian, equifax, transunion, freecredit report and all these other sites are bogus..nothing but a bunch of scammers, never understood how something could be different across the board on CR, Scores range anywhere from - to + 50 points from various sites...

Sounds like you need to read up on different models and stop expecting them to produce the same score. Yes, any score is generated from data in a report. However the model definitely has an impact on the score generated. Never assume that scores from two different models (whether you're comparing FAKO to FICO, FICO to FICO or FAKO to FAKO) should be the same or close. You should expect different algorithms to produce different results. This is a very common topic so don't overlook prior discussions on scores as well as the Understanding FICO Scoring subforum and its stickies.

I can understand the frustration for those not familiar with how things work but not understanding something does not make it a scam.  Keep in mind that scores were really designed for the creditors to assess one's credit.  You really do have to consider the bigger picture and not just your own perspective to gain a proper understanding of the situation.

@Anonymous wrote:

Scam, its a system designed just to keep the good ole working class down so we have to beg from the big ol company to-do us a favor..

It only keeps those down that either can't or won't spend the time and effort to educate themselves.  You can stop obsessing over the numbers. learn how scoring factors are weighed relative to each other as well as other factors frequently discussed here and then use that information to your advantage.  Once you have that knowledge you can get a pretty good idea of that shape your credit is in by reviewing your reports.  The scoring models and underwriting criteria for different creditors may vary but good reports will lead to good scores.

If you haven't read this then start here but be sure to use all resources available including the different subforums, the existing discussions, the stickies, other credit sites, etc.

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

If you just blow it off as a scam then you're just keeping yourself down.  None of us started out knowing everything but we're all more than willing to help you with whatever questions you have.  It is frustrating and there are things that are not 100% known but we all have to deal with the exact same playing field.  It's not just the working class that are affected by this.

Message 4 of 5
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

While I don't think that they are scams, MyFico as the "real and only useful score" days are long gone.  Last time I compared scores with real scores from a real lender, MyFico's scores were the ones most distant from the scores the lender gave me!

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.